Pursuing Electrical Engineering: Advice for a Young Initiate

• Thread starter Tezla11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Passion
In summary, my third job ever was working with my brother who is qualified to get his masters liscense, at an electrical distributor. It was my time working with him, constructing and repairing surge protectors, that my passion for engineering was ignited. My brother had a deep fascination for Nikola Tesla and his work and has inspired me to study this great inventor and his discoveries. I would like to know what seasoned engineers would recommend as far as reading material to a young initiate. Where do I start?
Tezla11
My third job ever I worked with my brother who is qualified to get his masters liscense, at an electrical distributor. It was my time working with him, constructing and repairing surge protectors, that my passion for engineering was ignited. My brother had a deep fascination for Nikola Tesla and his work and has inspired me to study this great inventor and his discoveries. I can't think of anything else better to do with my life. I have a novice level of understanding about generally everything concerning electrical engineering, but deeply fascinated to the point to where studying the subject is a hobby, not a chore. That being said, I would like to know what seasoned engineers would recommend as far as reading material to a young initiate. Where do I start?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of math background do you have?

A good start for a serious engineer would be an intro to circuits. There is many books and textbooks on it. But one inexpensive is "Basic Circuit Analysis" by O'Malley.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070478244/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is calculus based, and has many solved problems for easy self study. It also has nice sections on SPICE (electronic simulation).

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped out in the 11th grade. With terrible grades at that. Purely due to the fact that I didn't apply myself. Looking back now, I am able to admit my potential to myself a lot better. Truth be told I can do absolutley anything I want. It's not that I had an apathy about studying, its just I didn't know why I was doing it. No direction. Now that I've made my mind up on what I want to do, I can focus all my energy on that one thing.

I bought a book called physics demystified awhile back and have been reading through that. The concepts are easy enough to get. Its just about having in mind what exactly your going to apply those concepts too that makes the whole learning thing work lol. For me atleast. I tend to ramble lol. But my math skills are pretty horrible as of now. But I tend to be mathimatically minded(much to my surprise) So when I do my studies now, things clicked like they never could in high school.

1. What skills are necessary to be successful in electrical engineering?

To be successful in electrical engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, familiarity with computer programming languages and electronic design software is essential.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific degree to pursue a career in electrical engineering?

While it is not required to have a specific degree, most employers prefer candidates with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. However, some individuals with degrees in math, physics, or computer science may also enter the field with additional training.

3. What type of work can I expect to do as an electrical engineer?

Electrical engineers work on a variety of projects, from designing and testing electronic devices to developing power generation and distribution systems. They may also be involved in research and development, project management, and consulting.

4. What advice do you have for someone just starting out in the field of electrical engineering?

My advice would be to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs, stay updated on industry developments and technology, and continuously work on improving your technical and soft skills. It is also beneficial to network with other professionals in the field and seek mentorship opportunities.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with an electrical engineering degree?

With an electrical engineering degree, you can pursue a career in a variety of industries, such as telecommunications, aerospace, healthcare, and renewable energy. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, systems engineer, project manager, and research scientist. Additionally, many individuals with this degree go on to pursue advanced degrees or start their own businesses.