Pursuing Pharmacy, Math & Biology: Career Advice

• Thread starter BoundByAxioms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student majoring in mathematics and biology with a desire to become a pharmacist. However, their family and some professors have suggested exploring a career in researching, which the individual finds intriguing. They enjoy the idea of being a pharmacist due to their interest in fixing problems with medicine and their fascination with the human body. They also appreciate the salary and hours of a pharmacist. The conversation also mentions the use of automation in pharmacies and suggests exploring biochemistry and microbiology for potential intersections with pharmacy and the individual's interests in math and biology.
BoundByAxioms
I'm an undergraduate student who is majoring in both mathematics and biology. Ever since High School, I've wanted to be a pharmacist but have recently been encouraged to not "close the doors" on other career paths. My family and some of my professors have told me that I'd find a career in researching much more interesting than a career in pharmacy. I've liked the idea of being a pharmacist due to my fascination of being able to fix problems with medicine, and my overall enjoyment of the human body and the study of it. Also, I like the salary and hours of a pharmacist. However, I also really enjoy mathematics, and am curious as to how I could combine my interests in mathematics and biology. Can anyone offer any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
My youngest sister is a pharmacist, there was a fair amount of math in school, but everything is automated now. At most US pharmacies, the pharmacist merely enters the prescription information into a computer and in a large robotized box, the correct pills are counted out, poured into a container, a label printed, pasted on the container, a cap is placed on and the filled prescription is pushed out onto a conveyer at the end, ready to hand to the customer. It is all done robotically, no humans. The walls are glass so that you can watch it being done. Very cool.

Also, I like the salary and hours of a pharmacist. However, I also really enjoy mathematics, and am curious as to how I could combine my interests in mathematics and biology. Can anyone offer any insight?

Not sure about what to say about insight; but consider exploreing Biochemistry and Microbiology. Definitely some intersections occur in those concepts and pharmacy about both the human body, diseases, and pharmaceutical materials/medications. Research may also be rich in those fields.

Evo said:
My youngest sister is a pharmacist, there was a fair amount of math in school, but everything is automated now. At most US pharmacies, the pharmacist merely enters the prescription information into a computer and in a large robotized box, the correct pills are counted out, poured into a container, a label printed, pasted on the container, a cap is placed on and the filled prescription is pushed out onto a conveyer at the end, ready to hand to the customer. It is all done robotically, no humans. The walls are glass so that you can watch it being done. Very cool.

That does sound just a little boring. Tell me though, does your sister like it? Or does she wish she had done something else.

symbolipoint said:
Not sure about what to say about insight; but consider exploreing Biochemistry and Microbiology. Definitely some intersections occur in those concepts and pharmacy about both the human body, diseases, and pharmaceutical materials/medications. Research may also be rich in those fields.

I will be taking biochemistry and microbiology in a couple of years, and the little bit of microbiology I studied in my introductory biology course was quite interesting. Would you say there is any opportunity for someone with a math background in those fields?

Last edited:

What is the job outlook for pharmacy, math, and biology careers?

The job outlook for pharmacy, math, and biology careers is projected to be positive, with a growing demand for professionals in these fields. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment for pharmacists will grow by 3% from 2019 to 2029, while employment for mathematicians and biologists is expected to grow by 33% and 4%, respectively, during the same time period.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in pharmacy, math, or biology?

Some essential skills for a successful career in pharmacy, math, or biology include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and good communication skills. Additionally, proficiency in computer science and technology is becoming increasingly important in these fields.

What educational path should I take to pursue a career in pharmacy, math, or biology?

To pursue a career in pharmacy, a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree is required. For math and biology careers, a bachelor's degree in the respective field is typically necessary, followed by advanced degrees such as a master's or PhD. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities.

What are some potential career options in pharmacy, math, or biology?

Career options in pharmacy, math, and biology are diverse and varied. Some common career paths for pharmacists include working in retail or hospital pharmacies, while mathematicians and biologists may work in research and development, education, or government positions. Other options include careers in pharmaceutical sales, data analysis, or healthcare administration.

What is the earning potential for professionals in pharmacy, math, or biology?

The earning potential for professionals in pharmacy, math, or biology can vary depending on factors such as education level, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for pharmacists in 2019 was $128,090, while mathematicians earned a median annual wage of $105,030 and biologists earned a median annual wage of $83,600.