1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a Block: frictionless to friction

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hand pushes a 3 kg block along a table from point A to point C as shown in the figure below. The table has been prepared so that the left half of the table (from A to B) is frictionless. The right half (from B to C) has a non-zero coefficient of friction equal to u. The hand pushes the block from A to C using a constant force of 5 N. The block starts off at rest at point A and comes to a stop when it reaches point C. The distance from A to B is 1/2 meter and the distance form B to C is also 1/2 meter.

A) Describe in words the motion of the block as it moves from A to C.
    D) Does the magnitude of the acceleration increase, decrease, or remain the same as the block moves form B to C? Explain.

2. Relevant equations[/b

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to describe the motion for part A and I put decreases ofr part D which is incorrect. Please Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    I think the answer to D is that it remains the same

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?