1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putting videos into the public domain

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1
    Dear Experts

If I invented something and took a video explaining it and include the date and time, and upload the video into the internet,
    what happens to the patentability of this idea or product or invention?

Is there any benefit for doing so ?

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice day.

regards
    Ramone

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2
    Anything that was made public cannot be patented any more. It's mostly ok to discuss it with your friends, but as soon as you get a large anonymous audience you cannot patent. So you would have to start the patent process before you publicise your idea.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    Yep, ditto.

Normal procedure for securing a patent:
    1. Keep detailed records of your development in whatever form & format.
    2. As soon as the "patentable idea" crystallizes and presents itself, one should build a "patent disclosure" document. This puts the stake in the sand about WHO had the idea and at WHAT TIME they had the idea.
    3. Then later after most of the actual inventing is complete and proven, the actual patenting process starts with lawyers etc.

At least, that has been my experience. We were always told to never, ever divulge what our ideas were until it was documented formally. And anyone we communicated with had to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement.

5. Jul 6, 2013 #4
    Thanks for your advice 0xDEADBEEF and tygerdawg.

Am I also right to say that since I have made it unpatentable, it means I cannot patent it and no one else can?

If so, does this not mean that everyone can manufacture it without having to face any IP issues?

In this sense, it seems like its actually good for consumers.

Regards
    Romone

6. Jul 6, 2013 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you are serious about patenting something, ask a patent lawyer. Getting advice on an internet chat forum is not legally sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook