Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Pvt. William A. Long: Comment from the Whitehouse?

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1

mheslep

Gold Member

Seven days ago on May 31 Dr Tiller was murdered; the motivation was clearly Tiller's occupation. The Whitehouse http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Statement-From-The-President-On-The-Murder-Of-DR-George-Tiller/" [Broken]an appropriate statement of shock and outrage within hours on the same day. Press Secretary Gibbs has also subsequently mentioned the Tiller killing.

Six days ago http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/us/02recruit.html" [Broken]. Since the murder the Commander-in-Chief has made the following statement about the loss of one his own simply because he wore the uniform: nothing. I find that more than disappointing. There is still no mention of Long anywhere on the Whitehouse web site.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2
    Can you really not see the difference here?

One is a professional soldier, the other is a doctor. I'm disappointed that you're disappointed.

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Why can't you be bothered to go past the smug hand waiving and explain or argue why? Long was a member of the US armed forced standing on a corner in the middle of his own country. President Obama is also a member of the US armed forces. He should bother himself to make a statement.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4
    The obvious difference is that we have a rather large faction of our population which condones violence against abortion providers compared to the few nutcases who support attacking our troops.

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

This is not only about US troops, though it warrants special attention from the President because of that fact. It is also about radical Islamic or jihadist based violence in this country.

Regarding the obviousness of who condones what:
    Before the Tiller tragedy, the last anti-abortion murder or attempted murder was apparently
    -1998, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_Slepian" [Broken]

In the last few years for Islamic/jihadist related violence in the US we have:
    -May 2009. Four arrested attempting to http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202009/news/regionalnews/bronx/ny_terror_plot_foiled_170221.htm" [Broken]
    -May 2007. Eight men arrested for Ft. Dix massacre plan.
    -July 2006. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003159826_webbelltown28.html" [Broken].
    -Sept 2005. Indictment of four Muslim men for planning a massacre at an LA synagogue.
    and so on.

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So what are you saying? That people don't care if soldiers get killed because they are soldiers?

I agree with mheslep - yeah, they are different, but that difference doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the point of the OP -- or maybe that's the whole point of the OP! Either way, you didn't address the point at all!

8. Jun 6, 2009 #7

russ_watters

That's not quite how I see it.

There are a lot of murders in the US - some get a lot of attention and some don't. The ones that get attention are the ones that are particularly gruesome, unusual, or connected to popular political causes. Abortion is a popular political cause, so the murder of an abortion doctor gets attention.

Now it is a little surprising to me that in this day an age an act of domestic terrorism is so ignored (and I'm partly guilty of forgetting it too - I saw a brief news story about it and then forgot about it).

The response from the White House was purely political: abortion is a hot issue so he needs to address it or it might hurt him politically.

9. Jun 6, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a glaring inconsistency, especially for a Commander-in-Chief.

One does not express disagreement by murdering those with who one disagrees!
    I believe these guys were converts, and they had prior criminal records. Their actions should not taint those who faithfully practice their religion.

10. Jun 6, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both were unarmed, both were doing their calling, and both were human beings.

Murder is murder.

11. Jun 6, 2009 #10
    How did you come to your conclusion that the murderer is a radical Islamist? I've not seen much details on him, but from what I have seen I get the impression he was some misanthrope that snapped, and who is Muslim to some extent or another. I've seen nothing to suggest he was some jihadist bent on killing unbelievers and ushering in a global Caliphate or anything of the sort.

If you'd like to address my comment about who condones what, then please do so rather than abstracting to a list of who planed and carried out what. Also, if you insist on making such a list, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence#Incidents_in_the_United_States".

I agree with your comments up until here, but I don't see where there would have been any concern of political fallout for not commenting on the assassination. Seems more likely to me that Obama rather felt it important to put a reality check on the many who marked Dr. Tiller as worthy of death. And again, in the case of the murder of Pvt. Long, the minuscule number of nutcases who praise that don't rightly merritt any such attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Jun 6, 2009 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Honestly, you are really reaching to find a grievance against Obama.

What are there 10,000 deaths from firearms in the US yearly? Is Obama supposed to issue a press release for every one? Does anyone here know for a fact that he made no comment about the death of this Private? Or more to the point, explicitly refused to comment about his death? Expressed no concern about the senseless loss of a Private's life?

Or is the real issue that Obama's comment and the doctor's murder has been highly reported in the media because it was sensational. It's a horror that a broad number of church going and not church going people can relate to. It was the slaying of a Doctor in church. It was the slaying of a man targeted by those that do not want to lawfully find common ground, but rather prefer to take the Law in their own hands.

There is a reported response maybe because he was asked, and it deserved an answer, and he did. Maybe because it was a crime so symbolically abhorrent as to what it says about the Country as a whole, about the conduct of discussions of domestic policy - that a man would be targeted and hounded and branded and attacked - in ideologically repugnant rhetoric - until some weak brained individual succumbed to the mean spirited propaganda - and acted to make a martyr of the Doctor, and exposed this hypocritical so called "reverence for life" of those that had hounded him until he was slain.

13. Jun 8, 2009 #12

mheslep

Gold Member

That's understandable as there has been little mention of the event in the media, relative to the Tiller murder.

14. Jun 12, 2009 #13
    "large faction" ??? This is an extreme exaggeration. There may be few religious zealots who might say he got what he deserved. They in no way represent the overwhelming majority or pro-life Americans who are committed to non-violence.

"few nutcases" ??? 5 or 10 percent of 1.5 billion Muslims, lets see, that is 75 million, minimum.

As far as the White House is concerned, they seem to be on a mission to insult our allies and not offend our enemies.

Cheers, Skippy

15. Jun 12, 2009 #14
    Oh, I misread the post! I thought you said they were shot at a station in Afghanistan by terrorists! (That changes things drastically)

In which case, I agree with you.

16. Jun 12, 2009 #15
    Context is key:
    Understood?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  17. Jun 12, 2009 #16
    Source? I don't know of any large faction that condones violence against abortion providers. This is a completely false allegation.

18. Jun 12, 2009 #17

russ_watters

I'd also like to know what that fraction is....

[edit - it was pointed out that I missed that word: it is "faction" not "fraction". Still, substantiation required]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  19. Jun 12, 2009 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

I expect that's a frequent oversight -'soldier shot ... must be Iraq/Afgan.' - enabled by the slight coverage of Pvt Long's murder in the media. Lexus Nexus shows 10:1, Dr Tiller: Pvt Long. TV is probably worse yet.

20. Jun 12, 2009 #19
    I wasn't quoting anyone, and I really don't see how this can be honestly be denied by anyone paying even just the slightest bit of attention here. However, since you have insisted on a source, a bit of Googling turned up http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/how-i-and-other-pro-life_b_209747.html" [Broken].

21. Jun 12, 2009 #20
    In other words, you cannot provide any evidence of this "large faction" that condones violence you were refering to. Your allegation was complete BS. I'll take your post as an acknowledgement of this fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook