PWM, Limit switches, and TX's / RX's

In summary, the speaker is a beginner in electronics and is seeking help with their first engineering project, an RC Excavator. They have 3 DC motors with a voltage range of 6-12V and need help with the circuits for linear actuators. The motors need to be controlled separately, in both directions, and with variable speeds. The speaker has a DX6I controller and a 6 channel receiver, but it only works up to 9V. They are considering using Pulse Width Modulation for the motors. They also need a limit switch to stop the motor from spinning in one direction when the nut reaches the end of its travel. They are open to suggestions and greatly appreciate any help.
nipels
Hey everyone. I am a total noob to electronics, so I would really appreciate your help on my first engineering project! I am building an RC Excavator and need help with the circuits for the linear actuators I plan to build. I have 3 DC motors on the way with a voltage range from 6-12V. I have lead screws and lead nuts on the way as well. I will leave the rest of the mechanics out of this and get straight down to my problem.

I need to be able to control 6v-12v DC 3 motors separately. They need to be able to spin in both directions and at speeds controlled by the operator. I have a DX6I and a 6 channel receiver I was hoping to incorporate into this build but it seems the receivers are only good up to 9v. If their is a work around for this please let me know! I have been reading a little bit about Pulse Width Modulation and it seems to be the way to go with electric motors.

Now for the next challenge. When the nut reaches the end of its travel, I would like for it to hit a switch that turns off the ability for the motor to spin in that direction anymore. This will make it so the nut won't be able to spin off screw. In other words, after the motor has spun clockwise for a determined distance, a limit switch will be hit. When that switch is activated, the motor will no longer be able to spin clockwise, and the only way to get it to spin clockwise again is for you to tell it to spin counter-clockwise until the switch is no longer activated.

I know this is a lot to ask, and would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Motors with 6-12V range mean that any voltage greater than 6 and less than 12 is OK. So the 9V from the contoller is OK.

For your second question, you need a simple limit switch. Google limit switches and you will find very many to choose from.

1. What is PWM and how does it work?

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation and it is a technique used to control the amount of power supplied to a circuit. It works by rapidly switching the power on and off at a fixed frequency, with varying widths of the "on" time, to simulate an analog signal. This allows for precise control of the output voltage or current.

2. What are limit switches and how are they used?

Limit switches are mechanical switches that are used to detect the presence or absence of an object. They have a lever or plunger that is activated by the object, and when activated, the switch sends a signal to the control system. Limit switches are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings for safety and control applications.

3. What are TX's and RX's and how do they communicate?

TX stands for transmitter and RX stands for receiver. They are electronic devices that are used together to transmit and receive data or signals wirelessly. The TX sends the data through radio waves, which are then received by the RX and converted into usable information. This communication is commonly used in electronic devices such as remote controls, wireless keyboards, and radio communication systems.

4. How do PWM, limit switches, and TX's/RX's work together in a system?

In a system, PWM can be used to control the speed or position of a motor, with the help of a limit switch to detect when the motor has reached its desired position. The TX and RX can be used to wirelessly send signals to control the PWM and limit switch, allowing for remote control or automation of the system.

5. What are some common applications of PWM, limit switches, and TX's/RX's?

PWM is commonly used in motor control systems, LED dimming, and power supplies. Limit switches are used in industrial machinery, elevators, and garage door openers. TX's and RX's are used in remote control systems, wireless communication, and smart home devices.