Can Pyrotechnic Pepper Spray Be an Effective Non-Lethal Weapon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a pepper spray using pyrotechnic composition instead of the usual propane and butane propellants. The idea is to use carolina reaper chili powder or pure capsaicin mixed with a burning powder to create a steady stream or spray pattern similar to a rocket engine or pressurized can. The conversation ends with questions about potential testing and payment for focus groups.
GulfOnBoard
TL;DR Summary
How to make pyrotechnican pepper spray?
Hello. Ordinary pepper sprays on the market are cans pressurized with propane, butane etc., that propells the liquid pepper through a spray nozzle.

So I thought, would it be possible to make a pyrotechnic composition that act as pepper spray? Either that the burning powder itself act as a strong (but non-lethal) irritant, or through using carolina reaper chili powder or pure capsaicin mixed together with a burning powder that propells it?

If you load a cannon or a shotgun round with capsaicin/pepper-powder instead of lead, and simple shoot it out from the barrel, you will get a pepper shot, but I want to achieve a steady stream/spray pattern that keep going for a while, like a rocket engine, or a pressurized can.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? I guess there’s a bunch of different solutions that could work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Who are you going to test this on? Can I sign up? How much to you pay to your focus groups?

1. What is pyrotechnic pepper spray?

Pyrotechnic pepper spray is a type of non-lethal weapon that combines pepper spray with a pyrotechnic charge. This creates a loud bang and a bright flash of light, which can disorient and distract an attacker.

2. How does pyrotechnic pepper spray work?

When the trigger is pulled, the pyrotechnic charge is ignited, creating a loud bang and bright flash of light. At the same time, the pepper spray is released, causing irritation and inflammation of the eyes, nose, and throat of the attacker.

3. Is pyrotechnic pepper spray effective as a non-lethal weapon?

Studies have shown that pyrotechnic pepper spray can be an effective non-lethal weapon in certain situations. It can cause temporary blindness, disorientation, and respiratory distress, which can give the victim time to escape or call for help.

4. What are the advantages of using pyrotechnic pepper spray?

One advantage of pyrotechnic pepper spray is its ability to disorient and distract an attacker, giving the victim time to escape. It also has a longer range than traditional pepper spray, making it useful in situations where the attacker is further away.

5. Are there any risks associated with using pyrotechnic pepper spray?

As with any type of pepper spray, there is a risk of causing harm to the attacker, especially if they have underlying health conditions. There is also a risk of causing harm to bystanders if the spray is used in a crowded area. It is important to use pyrotechnic pepper spray responsibly and only in self-defense situations.