Pytels Dynamics 12.10: parabolic path, velocity, acceleration

In summary, the given conversation discusses a problem involving an automobile going down a hill with a parabolic cross section. The goal is to determine the expression for the speed of the automobile in terms of its position and the magnitude and direction of its acceleration. The solution involves using calculus and the chain rule to find the speed and acceleration, with the final solutions being v=v0√1+(2hx/b2)2 and a=2hv02/b2.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

An automobile goes down a hill that has the parabolic cross section shown. (see image attached)
Assuming that the horizontal component of the velocity vector has a constant
magnitude v0, determine (a) the expression for the speed of the automobile in
terms of x; and (b) the magnitude and direction of the acceleration.

Homework Equations

y=h(1-x2/b2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached an image

It gives a solution in (a) v0√1+(2hx/b2)2
and (b) 2hv02/b2

How do I proceed in (a) to come to the given solution?

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics_12_10a.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics_12_10a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Pytel_Dynamics_12_10b.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics_12_10b.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered mechanical energy conservation?

Conservation of mechanical energy is introduced later in pages 148-149.
This problem is at the first pages(pg. 23) of Dynamics 2nd edition under the Rectangular Coordinates section.

Actually, I was off the mark initially. This is not an energy conservation problem, but a simple application of calculus. You are looking for ##v = \sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##. You know that ##v_x = v_0##, that ##y = h(1-x^2/b^2)## and that ##v_y = dy/dt##. So ...

so for vy = dy/dt i get vy = - (h/b2)2x

and v = sqrt(v02 + (- (h/b2)2x)2)

I don't know how to proceed then

Alexanddros81 said:
so for vy = dy/dt i get vy = - (h/b2)2x
You did not apply the chain rule of differentiation carefully enough. Try again. Remember that x depends on time.

Ok. What I get is different from the given soution at the back of the book.
It is given ##v = v_0 \sqrt {1 + \left( \frac {2hx} {b^2}\right) ^2}##
what I get is ##v = v_0 \sqrt {1 + \left( \frac {-2hx} {b^2}\right) ^2}##
Check also my upload

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics014.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics014.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 505
##\left( -\frac{2hx}{b^2} \right)^2=\left( (-1)\frac{2hx}{b^2} \right)^2=(-1)^2\left( \frac{2hx}{b^2} \right)^2=\left( \frac{2hx}{b^2} \right)^2##

Any hint in finding the magnitude of acceleration?
It should be ##\frac {2hv_0^2} {b^2}##

I have done the ##a_y=\frac {d} {dt}\left( v_y\right) = \frac {d} {dt} \left [v_0\left(\frac {-2hx} {b^2}\right)\right]##. How do i proceed from here?

and ##a_x## should be zero since ##v_x## is constant

Alexanddros81 said:
Any hint in finding the magnitude of acceleration?
It should be ##\frac {2hv_0^2} {b^2}##

I have done the ##a_y=\frac {d} {dt}\left( v_y\right) = \frac {d} {dt} \left [v_0\left(\frac {-2hx} {b^2}\right)\right]##. How do i proceed from here?

and ##a_x## should be zero since ##v_x## is constant
Apply Chain Rule, (see @kuruman's Post#6)

It should be as shown at the attached file

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics015.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics015.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 503

What is a parabolic path?

A parabolic path is a curved path that is shaped like a parabola. It is created by an object moving in a uniform gravitational field, such as a projectile being launched into the air.

How is velocity related to parabolic path?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position. In a parabolic path, the velocity of the object is constantly changing as it moves along the curved path. At the highest point of the path, called the apex, the velocity is zero. As the object moves towards the ground, the velocity increases due to the acceleration of gravity.

What is acceleration in Pytels Dynamics 12.10?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In Pytels Dynamics 12.10, acceleration is constant and equal to the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s²). This means that the velocity of an object in a parabolic path will increase by 9.8 m/s for every second it is in motion.

How can Pytels Dynamics 12.10 be applied in real life?

Pytels Dynamics 12.10 can be applied in real life in various scenarios, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of objects in free fall, and predicting the path of a satellite orbiting a planet. It is also used in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

What factors can affect the parabolic path in Pytels Dynamics 12.10?

The parabolic path in Pytels Dynamics 12.10 can be affected by the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the strength of the gravitational field. Other factors such as wind and surface friction can also affect the path of the object.