Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python 2.7 on Windows installation for Astronomy

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    Hello people i know this program is better to use on Linux, but for personal reasons i can't change to Linux OS. So i'm having a little problema on how to use python and install the modules of astropy, ipython, i've already installed pip but i have a error on python shell that says: Error syntax, i write the instruction pip install astropy and also sudo pip install and doesn't work. Hope you can answer me quickly and can solve this problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why aren't you using a newer version of Python? 2.7 is fairly old, with the current version for Windows being v3.5. The documentation for Python gives all the steps needed for running Python under Windows, which is mostly setting up the environment variables (such as path and a few others) so that Python can find the directories needed.

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    The pip commands are not meant to be run within the Python shell- they need to be run at a command prompt in Windows.

I would stay with 2.7 if you are going to be doing scientific computing. A number of packages still aren't fully compatible with version 3, and most of the code you come across will probably have been written in 2.7.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook