In summary, Professor Kaku believes that oil production is peaking and that we should transition to nonrenewable energy sources soon. He suggests that wind power is currently the best alternative, but that solar electricity needs to become more cost competitive.
Don’t forget to read Part 1 of this interview.
Professor Kaku, what do you think of “peak oil,” how serious is it? and what alternative sources of energy do you think will best provide the worlds needs in the coming decades after fossil fuels start to decline? (whether it be organic oils, nuclear breeder-types, fusion etc.)
Dr Michio Kaku:
It seems as if oil production is peaking right now. This is called Hubbert’s peak, I recall. This means that 50% of the total oil in the earth has already been taken out. This also means that oil prices will gradually soar as oil becomes harder to extract. As a consequence, I feel that we should be the transition to nonrenewable energy sources fairly soon. The immediate winner, esp. in Europe, is wind power. However, solar electricity is still too high to be commercially competitive with oil and coal. But, with mass productions, increased...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I agree that it is important to read Part 1 of the interview to get a better understanding of Professor Kaku's views on peak oil and alternative energy sources. From what I have read so far, it seems that Professor Kaku believes that wind power is the immediate winner for transitioning away from oil and coal, but solar electricity still needs to become more cost competitive in order to be a viable option. Are there any other alternative sources of energy that Professor Kaku feels could be successful in providing the world's needs in the coming decades?

1. What are the key principles of physics that you focus on in your research?

In my research, I focus on the principles of string theory, quantum mechanics, and the theory of everything. I am also interested in the concept of parallel universes and the laws of the universe.

2. Can you explain the concept of parallel universes in simple terms?

Parallel universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggest the existence of multiple universes beyond our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, and even versions of ourselves. This theory is still a subject of debate among physicists.

3. How do you see the field of physics evolving in the next decade?

I believe that the next decade will bring exciting advancements in the field of physics, especially in areas such as quantum computing, particle physics, and astrophysics. We may also see progress in our understanding of dark matter and dark energy.

4. Can you share your thoughts on the potential of time travel?

Time travel is a fascinating concept, but at this point, it is still firmly in the realm of science fiction. While theories such as wormholes and black holes offer possible ways to travel through time, the technology and resources required to achieve this are beyond our current capabilities.

5. How do you think physics can help us better understand the world and solve global issues?

Physics provides us with a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe. By studying these laws, we can develop technologies and solutions to address global issues such as climate change, renewable energy, and space exploration. Physics also allows us to better understand the complexities of the world and helps us make informed decisions based on evidence and data.