How can equations solve these two word problems?

• Thread starter ExamFever
  • Start date
In summary, if you deposit $4000 per year with interest for 10 years, you will still have money left over.
ExamFever

Homework Statement

P1
We put 4000 USD per year into a savings bank at the beginning of the year for 10 years. After 10 years we take out 4000 USD each year. How much money will there be left in the account by the end of twenty years, if the rate of interest is 5%?

P2
A train departed from city A to town B 180 km away at 9 in the morning. Tom arrived at the railway station late, therefore he weant from A to B by car. He arrived at B the same time as the train. The average speed of the car was 40 km/hours more than the average speed of the train. When started Tom from A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These are two word problems I have difficulty with.

P1
I can calculate this year by year, add up the total and give an answer to the question. However, I feel this is not the way they will want me to do it. Is there any way to put this into formula? I have tried several things including a geometric sequence but it does not seem to add any more value then the line-by-line approach.

P2
I actually sent in this problem to some "Dr. Math" website that helps with math problems. I tolld them the following:

V = velocity of the train
V+40 = velocity of the car

9+(180/V)=x+(180/(V+40)) - two variables here, can't solve x

This is the closest I come to breaking the problem down into an
(solveable) equation.

I've tried other options but I always keep having two variables.

They sent me a reply saying that this one could not be solved without more information. Just wanted to check with the pro's here whether that is correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked how much money there will be after first 10 years? Doesn't look to me like you can draw money for the next 10 years at $4000 per year.

I agree with Dr. Whoever Math - there is not enough information to give a unique answer. It can be expressed as a function of train speed only (which you have almost done already).

P1) Borek, if you add $4000 per annum for 10 years with interest on it, and then withdraw $4000 per annum for the next 10 years, you will still have money left over since you deposited and then withdrew the same amount, but interest was earned on money you left in the bank.

Your hunch was correct, you need to solve this in a more elegant way rather than just by calculating it year by year.

Set up this problem in such a way that you can find the pattern happening each year,

Y1 = Year 1 = 4000
Y2 = Y1(1.05)+4000 = (4000)(1.05)+4000 = 4000(1+1.05)
Y3 = Y2(1.05)+4000 = (4000(1+1.05)(1.05)+4000 = 4000(1+1.05+1.052)
Y10 = ?
Y11 = Y10(1.05)-4000
Y20 = ?

Can you find the pattern to finally get Y20? From there you would use a geometric series formula to simplify and solve it.

P2) Dr. Math is correct, you can't solve this problem without knowing more information, such as what time the train and car get to B or what time the car leaves A. What you have is a linear relationship between the two variables (the way I solved the problem, I ended up with time of car and time of train variables, and you had velocity and time of something instead, they're not much different really) then if you take say V=50, then you will get some value for x, and if you use V=60 you will get some other value for x. Both values of V and x satisfy the conditions in the problem, so you can't narrow down what the precise values are supposed to be without further information.

Mentallic said:
P1) Borek, if you add $4000 per annum for 10 years with interest on it

Sorry, misread the question, missed "per annum" part, somehow I thought you start with just $4k :redface:

Haha that's a relief, because I felt kind of silly explaining such a logical concept o:)

1. What is the difference between "Q7 - Two words problems" and other types of problems?

Q7 - Two words problems are a type of mathematical problem that involves finding two words or phrases that have the same numerical value when converted into numbers using a specific set of rules. This is different from other types of problems, such as algebraic equations, which involve finding the value of a variable.

2. How do you solve a Q7 - Two words problem?

To solve a Q7 - Two words problem, you must first identify the numerical value of each letter in the words or phrases using the given set of rules. Then, you can compare the values of the two words or phrases to see if they are equal. If they are not equal, you may need to rearrange the letters or use additional mathematical operations to make them equal.

3. What are some common rules used in Q7 - Two words problems?

Some common rules used in Q7 - Two words problems include assigning the letters A-Z to the values 1-26, using the position of the letter in the alphabet as its value, or using the sum of the letter's position and the number of letters in the word as its value.

4. Are there any tips for solving Q7 - Two words problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving Q7 - Two words problems more efficiently is to start by identifying any letters that must have a specific value, such as a letter that is assigned the value of 1 or a letter that must be the same as another letter. Then, you can use this information to narrow down the possible values for other letters and solve the problem more quickly.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Q7 - Two words problems?

Q7 - Two words problems can be used to test logical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also have some practical applications, such as in cryptography and code-breaking. In addition, they can be used to create puzzles and brain teasers for recreational purposes.