Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QCD gluon propagator in axial gauge, polarization sum

1. Apr 1, 2011 #1
    Hi!

I have a process with multiple feynman diagrams where gluon propagators occur. When I use an axial gauge for the gluon propagator, do I have to use the same n-vector for every propagator? Following this I wonder whether I can use the same n-vector for every polarization sum in axial gauge or have to take different ones.

Thanks, Tobias

gauge field propagator in general axial gauge:
    [tex]
    G_{\mu\nu}^{ab}(q,\alpha)=\frac{-i\delta^{ab}}{q^{2}}\left(-g^{\mu\nu}-\frac{q_{\mu}n_{\nu}+q_{\nu}n_{\mu}}{qn}+q_{\mu}q_{\nu}\frac{n^{2}+\alpha q^{2}}{(qn)^{2}}\right)
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems pretty clear that in deriving the propagator above, one assumes that the vector [tex]n_\mu[/tex] doesn't vary with position. If it did, you would have to compute it's Fourier transform and the momentum space Feynman rules would be more complicated. Similarly, [tex]n_\mu[/tex] is independent of gauge indices, so there's no freedom to choose different values within a given computation.

4. Apr 1, 2011 #3
    You can use a different gauge for each external gluon (though you have to be consistent between diagrams).

You can use a different gauge for the internal gluons (different from the external legs), but each internal gluon must be in the same gauge. Changing the vector n is a form of gauge transformation.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. Sep 20, 2012 #4
    I'm fully aware that this post is over one year old, but could someone provide a source for the above statement or at least scetch if and why this is true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?