1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM expectation value relation <x^n>, <p^n>

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1
    I need to calculate <x^n> and <p^n> for psi(x)=exp(-ax^2/2)
    for n even.
    For <x^n>:
    <x^n>=integral(exp(-ax^2)*x^n )dx from -inf to +inf
    then i use integration by parts to get an infinite series and i use a formula to find the finite sum of the series
    =[exp(-ax^2)*x^(n+1)/((n+1-2a*(n+1)^2)] with limits -infinity to +infinity
    i don't think this is sufficient as i believe the answer should result in a constant and when i use this to work out <x^2>, i can't get a finite answer. I am not sure of another way to work through this question.

For <p^n> i have shown that for n odd, this vanishes, but for n even i am not sure what the answer is. I would appreciate any help or suggestions on where to start with this question, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a trick...What happens if n=odd integer for \langle \hat{x}^{n} \rangle ...?

Daniel.

P.S. I'm sure you did gaussian integrals in statistical physics seminar.

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how you can get an *infinite* series!

First, write down the result for the case n=0. Then, consider the case with n=2. after doing integrations by parts, you may write the result in terms of the n=0 expression.

Now do it with n=4 which, after integrations by parts, may be written in terms of the result of n=2. At that point, the generalization should be obvious. The result is of the form "a" raised to a certain power times a factorial term.

5. Apr 20, 2006 #4
    Thanks for your quick replies. I am now able to get the answer :smile:
    I should have done it that way from the start but for some reason that infinite series thing led me on a bit.
    Thanks for all the help.

6. Apr 21, 2006 #5
    I just realised that i haven't been able to get the <p^n> part right where p=-i(h-bar)d/dx
    i get <p^2>=(h-bar)^2 *a/2*sqrt(pi/a)
    <p^4>=(-3/4)*(h-bar)^4 *a^2*sqrt(pi/a)
    <p^6>=(-165/8)*(h-bar)^6 *a^4*sqrt(pi/a)
    <p^8>=(4605/16)*(h-bar)^8 *a^6*sqrt(pi/a)
    And this doesn't give me a nice relationship for <p^n>
    i realise that p^n where n is odd =0.
    I think i must have done something wrong with the maths somewhere, but i can't find where. And i am 90% sure that the <p^2> is correct but i don't know about the others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?