QM question, angular momentum operator and eigen functions

In summary, the eigenvalue equation for the operator L_z is exp[i*phi], and the eigenvalue is 1/\sqrt{2\pi}.
indie452
For the operator L(z) = -i[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE][d/d(phi)]

phi = azimuthal angle

1) write the general form of the eigenfunctions and the eigenvalues.
2) a particle has azimuthal wave function PHI = A*cos(phi)
what are the possible results of a measurement of the observable L(z) and what is the probability of each.

this is a past paper qu I am doing for revision
i think 1) is = A*R(r)*sin(theta)exp[i*phi] and the eigenvalue is [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]

Physics news on Phys.org
indie452 said:
i think 1) is = A*R(r)*sin(theta)exp[i*phi] and the eigenvalue is [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]

That's certainly an eigenfunction, but it isn't the most general form. What is the eigenvalue equation (expanded in the position basis) for the operator [itex]L_z[/itex]? What do you get if you assume that the eigenfunctions are separable?

The question only ask for the eigenfunction of the operator L(z)
So you should not write out one hydrogen wavefunction which may count as WRONG answer!

Solve for [tex]L_{z}\Phi(\phi)=m\Phi(\phi)[/tex] and you will get the answer. Think about it

i still don't really understand what i need to do...
when you say [tex]
L_{z}\Phi(\phi)=m\Phi(\phi)
[/tex] is that you saying m is the eigenvalue? i thought that it was hbar.

im just confused cause we didnt try to find the eigenfunctions in lectures.

how about this?

L(z)[tex]\Phi[/tex] = m[tex]\hbar[/tex]*exp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]
-i[tex]\hbar[/tex]*d/d[tex]\phi[/tex]*[tex]\Phi[/tex] = m[tex]\hbar[/tex]*exp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]

so if [tex]\phi[/tex] = Aexp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]
normalised A = 1/[tex]\sqrt{}2\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
indie452 said:
how about this?

L(z)[tex]\Phi[/tex] = m[tex]\hbar[/tex]*exp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]
-i[tex]\hbar[/tex]*d/d[tex]\phi[/tex]*[tex]\Phi[/tex] = m[tex]\hbar[/tex]*exp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]

so if [tex]\phi[/tex] = Aexp[im[tex]\phi[/tex]]
normalised A = 1/[tex]\sqrt{}2\pi[/tex]

That doesn't prove that [itex]Ae^{im\phi}[/itex] is the only eigenfunction. Assume that the state [itex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi)[/itex] is an eigenfunction of the operator [itex]L_z[/itex]. Furthermore, assume that [itex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi)[/itex] is separable (i.e. [itex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi)=f(r)g(\theta)h(\phi)[/itex]). Now apply the operator [itex]L_z[/itex] to that eigenfunction and solve the differential equation you get.

okay i solved the partial diff. eqn. and got th same value for PHI,

does this eigen value answer the question?

I'm not sure exactly what your final answer is, you haven't posted it.

i got the eigen function being

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]eim[tex]\phi[/tex]

Then no, that is not the general form of the eigenfunction. Your eigenfunction can also have some radial or polar angle dependence, can it not?

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It describes how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

What is an angular momentum operator?

An angular momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol L and is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

What are eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

An eigenfunction in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that represents a physical state of a particle. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and is associated with a specific energy level of the particle.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and eigenfunctions?

In quantum mechanics, the angular momentum operator acts on eigenfunctions to determine the angular momentum of a particle. The eigenfunctions represent the different states of the particle, and the angular momentum operator provides information about the particle's rotational motion.

How are angular momentum operators and eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics calculations?

Angular momentum operators and eigenfunctions are used in quantum mechanics calculations to determine the energy levels and probabilities of a particle in a given system. They are also used to calculate the angular momentum of a particle and its orientation in space.