Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QT Programming with Debian or Ubuntu Linux - a problem

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    I am running Kubuntu Hardy Heron and I have the same problem I had with Debian, that the Qt packages put the libs and includes all over the place, not in one place such as /usr/lib and /usr/include

This means that I can't set QTDIR unless I obtain the Qt sources and compile and install in /usr/local/qt but that is a waste of disk space.

Is there a way to get source code requiring Qt to compile without having to install a second Qt?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    This sounds strange. Firstly, no, you don't need to compile Qt from source in order to install the libraries. Synaptic should have a list of the Qt packages - make sure you install the dev packages as well.

As far as I can recall, Hardy places Qt in /usr/share/qt4 (there are also Qt3 libraries in /usr/share/qt3, but presumably you're working with the latest Qt and don't need these). You don't say precisely what it is that you need to know $QTDIR for, but I'll assume you're trying to compile some sources that rely on the Qt libraries. Have you tried passing

Code (Text):
    ./configure --with-qtdir=/usr/share/qt4
    prior to building? There are symlinks in that directory that tell the compiler that the Qt libraries and includes are in /usr/share/lib and /usr/share/include.

Alternatively, you could always just set $QTDIR to the above in your .bashrc.

4. Jun 18, 2008 #3
    It's not a problem when I am compiling source code that comes with a configure script, the script knows where to find the libs and includes. It is a problem when I try to compile code from a tutorial or book.

I am going to try your suggestion of setting QTDIR to /usr/share/qt4

thanks

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    I think I am on the right track now and all the compile errors have to do with KDE and not Qt.
    This means I need to do for KDE something along the lines of what I did for Qt, following the ideas you gave.

thanks

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5
    Solved

I set KDEDIR to /usr/lib/kde4 and this did the trick. I will put that in my ~/.bashrc and the QTDIR as well and also add the $QTDIR/bin and $KDEDIR/bin to my PATH.

7. Jun 18, 2008 #6
    Good! Glad it helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?