Is There a Quadratic Equation for Polynomials in Z_n?

In summary, the use of field extensions in finding solutions of quadratic equations in Z_{n} is necessary when the solutions are not integers. This is done by creating a field extension F=\mathbb{Z}_2[c]/(c^2+c+1) and working with the elements of F as solutions. In this case, there is no need for an imaginary unit i, as it can be represented by the element 1 in the field F.
lol_nl
Working through A Book of Abstract Algebra, I encountered several exercises on roots of polynomials in [itex]Z_{n}[/itex] I was just wondering whether there exists something like a quadratic equation for polynomials of degree 2. If the solutions of the usual quadratic formula happen to be integers, can one simply take these modulo n to find solutions of the quadratic in [itex]Z_{n}[/itex]? What if they are not integers? Clearly a field extension is needed to find solutions, but how does this precisely work?

As an example, consider the equation [itex]x^{2} + x + 1 = 0[/itex] in [itex]Z_{2}[/itex]. The quadratic equation gives [itex]x = -\frac{1}{2} \pm \frac{1}{2} i[/itex]. Suppose you name the positive root as c. Then [itex]Z_{2}(c) = {0,1,c,1+c}[/itex] is the field extension. Now can one work with c in the same way as with [itex]x = -\frac{1}{2} \pm \frac{1}{2} i[/itex]? Clearly, you easily get contradictions like [itex]1 = -1 = 2c-1 = 3i = i[/itex] and so on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's a good first step to identify a good field extensions that allows you to have roots.

If we have the polynomial [itex]X^2+X+1[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex], then we can look at the polynomial ring [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[c][/itex].
Now, we let [itex]F=\mathbb{Z}_2[c]/(c^2+c+1)[/itex] the quotient of the polynomial ring with the ideal [itex](X^2+X+1)[/itex]. This is again a field, as is easily checked.

The elements of F are [itex]\{0,1,c,c+1\}[/itex] as you suspected.
Now, an important feature of this field is that [itex]c^2=-c-1[/itex]. This allows you to multiply all numbers in the field.

Now, you can not work with c as you can work with [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\pm \frac{1}{2}i[/itex]. One reason for that is already that [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] doesn't make any sense in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]

If you want to work with an analogous things as i then you will have to look for solutions to the equation [itex]X^2+1=0[/itex]. Clearly, X=1 is the only solution to this equation. So in this case, there is no need to make an element i such that [itex]i^2=-1[/itex]. We already have such an element. That is: i=1. So if you work in F or in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex], then you can safely say i=1. Even better: you don't need to talk about i.

1. What is the Quadratic Formula in Z_n?

The Quadratic Formula in Z_n is a mathematical formula used to find the solutions to quadratic equations in the ring of integers modulo n (Z_n). It is written as x = (-b +/- √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are coefficients of the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

2. How is the Quadratic Formula in Z_n different from the traditional Quadratic Formula?

The traditional Quadratic Formula is used to find the solutions to quadratic equations in the field of real numbers, while the Quadratic Formula in Z_n is used for equations in the ring of integers modulo n. This means that the solutions in Z_n are restricted to integers between 0 and n-1, rather than all real numbers.

3. When is the Quadratic Formula in Z_n applicable?

The Quadratic Formula in Z_n is applicable for solving quadratic equations in the ring of integers modulo n, where n is a positive integer. This formula is commonly used in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and number theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Quadratic Formula in Z_n?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Quadratic Formula in Z_n. One limitation is that it can only be used for quadratic equations, not higher degree equations. Additionally, the coefficients of the equation must be integers, and the modulus n must be a prime number or relatively prime to the coefficient of x^2.

5. Can the Quadratic Formula in Z_n be used to find complex solutions?

No, the Quadratic Formula in Z_n can only be used to find integer solutions. Since the solutions in Z_n are restricted to integers, complex solutions cannot be found using this formula. Instead, the traditional Quadratic Formula can be used to find complex solutions in the field of real numbers.