Quadratic Function Bounds for β: Solving for β in Terms of α, a, and b

In summary, to solve the given inequality, we can use the equations α+β = -b/a and αβ = c/a to expand the left hand side of the equality (4α-3β)(3α-4β) = a^2. From there, we can deduce that if 12b2< 49ac< 49b2/2, then β lies between 3α/4 and 4α/3.
kalupahana

Homework Statement

......49ac-12b2
(4α-3β)(3α-4β) =------------------------
.......a2

Deduce that, If 12b2< 49ac< 49b2/2

then β lies between 3α/4 and 4α/3

Homework Equations

α+β = -b/a

αβ = c/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do this.

I have even a idea to about these type of question, please help me

Well, start by expanding the left hand side of that equality. Use the related equations you've given and remember the fact that [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab[/tex]

Mentallic said:
Well, start by expanding the left hand side of that equality. Use the related equations you've given and remember the fact that [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab[/tex]

12α2-25αβ + 12β2

Using this i got that this in terms of a, b & c.

Next part of the question is this. How should i do it

Right so looking at your a2 and b2 part, if [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab[/tex] then [tex]a^2+b^2=(a+b)^2-2ab[/tex]

12α2 + 12β2 = (12α+12β)2 - 313αβ

Last edited:
No not quite. If you expanded that you would get [tex](12a)^2+(12b)^2=144a^2+144b^2[/tex]

[tex]12a^2+12b^2=12(a^2+b^2)=12((a+b)^2-2ab)[/tex]

Now go on from this.

Related to Quadratic Function Bounds for β: Solving for β in Terms of α, a, and b

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a function that can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a type of polynomial function and is characterized by the presence of a squared term.

2. How do I graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, you can plot points by choosing different values for x and solving for the corresponding y values. You can also use the vertex form f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the vertex of the parabola. Additionally, you can use the axis of symmetry, which is the line that divides the parabola into two symmetric halves.

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic function?

The discriminant of a quadratic function is the part of the quadratic formula (b^2-4ac) that helps determine the nature of the solutions of the function. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions, only complex solutions.

4. How do I solve a quadratic function problem?

To solve a quadratic function problem, you can use various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. Factoring involves finding the two numbers that multiply to give you the constant term and add to give you the coefficient of the linear term. Completing the square involves manipulating the function into the vertex form. And the quadratic formula is a formula that gives you the solutions of any quadratic function.

5. What are the real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. For example, they can be used to model projectile motion, determine the minimum or maximum value of a function, or predict the growth or decay of a population. They are also commonly used to solve optimization problems in various industries.