Is a Quadratic Nonresidue of Odd Primes p and q Also a Nonresidue Modulo pq?

• Thread starter joeblow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary: This is easily verified using the law of quadratic residues and Euler's criterion. If a doesn't exist as a quadratic residue modulo p, then it can't be a quadratic residue modulo pq either because then x^2=a+rpq=a+(rp)q.
joeblow
If a is a quadratic nonresidue of the odd primes p and q, then is the congruence [itex] x^2 \equiv a (\text{mod } pq) [/itex] solvable?

Obviously, we want to evaluate [itex] \left( \frac{a}{pq} \right) [/itex]. I factored a into its prime factors and used the law of QR and Euler's Criterion to get rid of the legendre symbols needed to evaluate [itex]\left( \frac{a}{pq}\right)[/itex]. I don't believe that this helped, though, because I get that it is conditionally solvable, which I don't think is possible from the way the question is worded. (To be exact, I concluded that if a has only one prime factor, then it is unsolvable unless it is 2. It is solvable for every other case.)

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Joe,
I'd go straight at the definition: if there is a solution x to the congruence modulo pq, then [itex]x^2 - a = kpq[/itex] for some integer k; but then the same x would solve the congruences mod p or mod q.

joeblow said:
If a is a quadratic nonresidue of the odd primes p and q, then is the congruence [itex] x^2 \equiv a (\text{mod } pq) [/itex] solvable?

Obviously, we want to evaluate [itex] \left( \frac{a}{pq} \right) [/itex]. I factored a into its prime factors and used the law of QR and Euler's Criterion to get rid of the legendre symbols needed to evaluate [itex]\left( \frac{a}{pq}\right)[/itex]. I don't believe that this helped, though, because I get that it is conditionally solvable, which I don't think is possible from the way the question is worded. (To be exact, I concluded that if a has only one prime factor, then it is unsolvable unless it is 2. It is solvable for every other case.)

Any help is appreciated.

"a is not a quadratic residue modulo p" means "there don't exist integers x,k s.t. [itex]x^2=a+pk[/itex].

From here it follows that if a is not a quad. res. modulo p, q then it can't be a quad. res. modulo pq, since then [itex]x^2=a+rpq = a+(rp)q\Longrightarrow [/itex] a is a quad. res. mod q, against the given data.

DonAntonio

What is Quadratic Reciprocity?

Quadratic reciprocity is a mathematical theorem that establishes a relationship between the quadratic residues of two prime numbers.

Why is Quadratic Reciprocity important?

Quadratic reciprocity is an important tool in number theory and has many applications in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and prime number generation.

What is the Quadratic Reciprocity Theorem?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Theorem states that the quadratic residue of a prime number p is determined by the Legendre symbol (-1/p), where (-1/p) is equal to 1 if p is congruent to 1 or 7 mod 8, and -1 if p is congruent to 3 or 5 mod 8.

How is Quadratic Reciprocity used in cryptography?

In cryptography, Quadratic Reciprocity is used to generate large prime numbers for use in encryption and decryption algorithms.

What is the difference between Quadratic Reciprocity and Quadratic Residues?

Quadratic reciprocity is a theorem that establishes a relationship between quadratic residues, which are numbers that have a square root modulo a given prime number. Quadratic residues are the numbers that result from this relationship.