Qualifications for Verbal Discussion

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the self-test is a way of measuring whether your reading comprehension is high enough to engage in rational discussion on a message board. The percentage you get wrong is a good predictor of the percentage of things that someone else says in a discussion that you are likely to interpret incorrectly. If you get more than, say, 10% wrong overall, again you are probably not qualified for verbal discussion.
That's very clever how you misspelled "truly" to emphasize the reference to the word "true." It would have been sufficient just to say "truly," I would have gotten it. But I appreciate the extra effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
BicycleTree said:
That's very clever how you misspelled "truly" to emphasize the reference to the word "true." It would have been sufficient just to say "truly," I would have gotten it. But I appreciate the extra effort.
And you are truly pedantic. Pompous and pedantic.

The SAT and the A-levels

brewnog said:
Being a non-USian, I don't know what these SAT thingies are
The SAT is the American version of Britain's A-levels.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT

It used to stand for Scholastic Aptitude Test. The company that develops, publishes and scores it, the Educational Testing Service (ETS), announced in 1994 that SAT now stands for nothing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#History_and_name_changes

I've read all ten pages of this thread and I realize I no longer care what that sentence means. There comes a point in every argument where a persons opinion has been expressed as well as they can express it. If others choose not to accept it then there is no point in expressing it any further. Being correct is not the most important issue here. Expressing and understanding an idea in a manner that people will choose to accept is what promotes comprehension. That includes more than scholastic ability. It is this 'choose to accept' part that BT needs to work on. Otherwise I think he is a very intelligent man.

In a normal conversation it becomes clear very quickly when there is a misunderstanding. If misunderstanding happen all the time then it is a degradation of the argument. This argument has degraded.

Huckleberry said:
In a normal conversation it becomes clear very quickly when there is a misunderstanding. If misunderstanding happen all the time then it is a degradation of the argument. This argument has degraded.
The longest "discussion" threads (not joke threads) almost always center around the "argument" dynamic. They thrive on people not seeming to understand each other. Threads where people agree at the start, or soon come to an agreement, don't last very long. I don't think BicycleTree had too much of a point to make. I think he just wanted a big dose of attention and knew that the surest way to get it was to keep the argument going.

BicycleTree said:
nobody on these boards is significantly more qualified to interpret English than I am. (assuming we have no professional grammarians in the house)

You're a stuck-up, egotistical, arrogant, abrasive little character aren't you? No offence, like.

And, you're wrong too.

Ohh, is it so wrong to feed a troll?

Last edited:
brewnog said:
You're a stuck-up, egotistical, arrogant, abrasive little character aren't you?

And, you're wrong too.

Ohh, is it so wrong to feed a troll?
Keep in mind, Mr. Nog, that this is a fellow who lives and dies by the holy scripture of the 'American Heritage Dictionary'.

Where's Moonbear's barfing smilie when I really need it?

Sure is a long discussion.
Who cares if people have misinterpreted something. Just tell them that they've done so and I'm sure in 90% of the cases they will see that they've misunderstood.
I haven't really bothered reading the 10 pages of this discussion, but if my skim reading is anything to go by, Bicycle Tree is pretty arrogant.
I would say that most people don't really care about their use of English on a forum as long as it is legible and isn't that frickin' mobile text or 'leet speak'.
But the moment you start insulting people and bragging about your skills in English you should make sure your grammar is absolutely correct.
What does looking down on others achieve??
Anyway in the end I've no doubt misinterpreted something haha, but really I already know that I'm probably the worst offender when it comes to misinterpretation 'cause I'm a bit of an ass ;)
This place is to relax and unless people are abusing other members I think they're qualified enough to post their thoughts in a public forum. :)

Soilwork said:
This place is to relax and unless people are abusing other members I think they're qualified enough to post their thoughts in a public forum. :)
Sort of leaves you wondering about the intent of someone starting a discussion thread with the premise that unless you're perfect, you shouldn't engage in discussion, doesn't it? That sort of attitude runs entirely counter to the objectives of this site, which is that of learning. We assume that people coming here to ask questions are not perfect in their knowledge (well, geez, as if anyone is perfect :rolleyes:), and thus engage in discussions in an attempt to improve what they know and understand. To even begin a discussion with the intent of excluding people from discussion (anyone who does not pass or refuses to take some arbitrary test) is highly suspect. When a discussion continues and someone begins suggesting others should leave the discussion when it becomes apparent they are not in agreement, what could possibly be the point? When it yet further continues and someone continues to maintain their position they are 100% correct even in the face of evidence to the contrary, and rather than support their argument with their own evidence, simply dismisses the evidence presented as wrong because it doesn't agree with them, then it becomes clear that there was no intention of initiating any actual discussion.

So, what would the consensus be, is it trolling or flame bait? Either way, it is not constructive to this forum to start up threads suggesting exclusivity of who can participate in discussions.

I think there is no need to continue this thread. Test results are not an indicator of whether people can carry on an intelligent discussion.