Quality Engineering Experiences: Share Yours

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ljfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the conversation discusses the different paths to becoming a quality engineer and the importance of getting an engineering degree for this field. The speaker shares their experience in quality engineering and the importance of regulatory compliance. They also mention the various responsibilities of a quality engineer, including software quality assurance. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the best degree to pursue for a career in software QA.
ljfe
Just curious if anyone here has worked in quality engineering before and could share their experiences (manufacturing, maybe software quality assurance)?

Not really looking for guidance here, although I work as a quality tech and plan on going for a degree in physics (I know I should probably do engineering). At work I do inspections, CMM programming, and CAD.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll say it because it needs to be said: if you want to work as a quality engineer, get a degree in engineering. You have the opportunity to make your life easier, you should do so.

With that out of the way, my current role is as a quality engineer. I have worked with video inspection systems, test method validation, and even software quality assurance. At this point, much of my work involves regulatory compliance in many markets across the world. I enjoy quality engineering, and the way you can build up a good system that prevents problems in the long run.

Nice, thanks for the reply! What kind of engineering degree got you a job in software QA? The thing is, it would be ideal for me to work as a Quality Engineer in manufacturing (since it's the route I'm on), but also leave the door open for software QA...I'm not sure how I'd achieve this without double majoring.

Regulatory compliance is a major component in most QE jobs and regulations tend to be written by engineers for engineers. Mechanical is a good all purpose choice. But, just about any engineering discipline will work when related to your job or target industry.

ljfe said:
Nice, thanks for the reply! What kind of engineering degree got you a job in software QA? The thing is, it would be ideal for me to work as a Quality Engineer in manufacturing (since it's the route I'm on), but also leave the door open for software QA...I'm not sure how I'd achieve this without double majoring.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that I have a job in software QA. I've worked extensively on SQA because it is a part of the current regulatory environment, and because I get the ideas behind it, but my job is in engineering. My degree, however, is not in engineering. My background is physics and mathematics, and while relevant, it made for a hard sell getting in the door. This is why I say get an engineering degree if you know you want to do engineering work: don't make the same mistakes I did.

I started as a manufacturing support engineer, and at least in my case, this did involve working on software quality assurance, as well as a great many other things. I don't think this kind of role excludes SQA, but usually focuses on other things. If you want a job in SQA, and nothing but SQA, then the path of least resistance involves a CS or IT degree. Other routes are available, especially if you already have a good track record in a company and want to move into a new area.

1. What is quality engineering?

Quality engineering is a systematic approach to ensuring that a product or service meets or exceeds the expectations of the customer. It involves the use of various methods and techniques to identify and prevent defects, improve processes, and ultimately deliver a high-quality product or service to the end user.

2. What is the role of quality engineering in product development?

Quality engineering plays a crucial role in product development by ensuring that the product meets the required quality standards and meets the needs and expectations of the customers. Quality engineers are responsible for identifying potential issues and implementing solutions to prevent or fix them, as well as continuously improving the product to meet changing customer needs.

3. What are some common challenges faced by quality engineers?

Some common challenges faced by quality engineers include managing and balancing the trade-offs between cost, quality, and time, dealing with constantly changing customer requirements, and ensuring that quality is maintained throughout the entire product development process.

4. How can quality engineering experiences be shared?

Quality engineering experiences can be shared through various means such as conferences, workshops, online forums, and social media platforms. Quality engineers can also share their experiences with their colleagues and peers through informal discussions and knowledge sharing sessions.

5. What are the benefits of sharing quality engineering experiences?

Sharing quality engineering experiences can lead to improved communication and collaboration among quality engineers, as well as the sharing of best practices and lessons learned. This can ultimately result in the development of more efficient and effective quality engineering processes, leading to better quality products and services for customers.