Quality Engineering or NDT Technician

In summary, the individual is facing a dilemma about which program to pursue before joining the workforce. They have a mechanical engineering degree and have applied to two programs - a Quality engineering post grad diploma and a Non-Destructive testing technician diploma. They are seeking advice on which program would have better career prospects and advancement, and would complement their degree. The individual is leaning towards the Quality engineering program, but also notes that the job prospects for NDT in Canada seem to be better. Ultimately, the decision depends on their intentions, interests, and the local job market.
salmansl
I'm in a dilemma right now. I've a mechanical engineering degree, and I wanted to supplement it with something before I join the work force, so I applied to two programs, Quality engineering post grad diploma, and a Non-Destructive testing technician diploma. Which one do you think has better career prospects? Cons and Pros of each.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, technicians work under engineers so a tech. diploma is lower level than the full blown engineering degree you already have so it'll be a step backwards.
As for whether the quality engineering post grad diploma is worth doing, well, only you can answer that, it depends what your intentions, interests, local job market etc etc are.

Likes Nidum
billy_joule said:
Generally, technicians work under engineers so a tech. diploma is lower level than the full blown engineering degree you already have so it'll be a step backwards.
As for whether the quality engineering post grad diploma is worth doing, well, only you can answer that, it depends what your intentions, interests, local job market etc etc are.
Thanks for your reply
The NDT program I applied to, is a one year program, for degree holders. I don't mind doing either one. I'm leaning towards the Quality engineering program, and the job prospects of NDT in Canada seem to be a bit better (source:google), but which one in general would have better career advancement, and would better compliment my degree?

What is Quality Engineering?

Quality Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on ensuring that products and processes meet specific quality standards. It involves using various techniques and methods to identify and address defects or issues in a product or process, with the goal of improving overall quality and customer satisfaction.

What is an NDT Technician?

An NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Technician is a professional who uses specialized techniques and equipment to inspect and evaluate materials, components, and structures without causing damage. They play a crucial role in ensuring the quality and safety of various products and structures, such as pipelines, bridges, and aircraft.

What are some common methods used in Quality Engineering?

Some common methods used in Quality Engineering include statistical process control, failure mode and effects analysis, root cause analysis, design of experiments, and lean manufacturing. These methods help identify and address quality issues, improve processes, and prevent defects from occurring in the future.

What skills are important for a Quality Engineering or NDT Technician?

Some important skills for a Quality Engineering or NDT Technician include attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge of testing methods and equipment, and strong communication skills. They also need to be able to read and interpret blueprints and technical drawings, and have a good understanding of quality standards and regulations.

What industries typically employ Quality Engineering or NDT Technicians?

Quality Engineering or NDT Technicians are employed in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, oil and gas, construction, and many others. They are essential to ensuring the quality and safety of products and structures in these industries and play a crucial role in preventing costly defects and failures.