Quantum blended with a little SR

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum Sr
In summary: I'm wrong, please correct me).But if you take two beer bottles from a six-pack, and one is sent to Mars, you can still determine what kind of beer it is by smelling it. Same goes for photons. They are still in the same state, but you know what state they are in just by looking at them. In summary, QM and SR have different interpretations of what is faster than the speed of light. QM insists nothing can go faster than the speed of light, while SR says information can be transferred faster than the speed of light.
Tom McCurdy
Is this a paradox between QM and SR:

If two particles say electrons are in the same quantum state then no matter what the distance if one "flips" then the other one does the same thing, because they are tricked into thinking they are right next to each other, however SR strictly implies nothing can go faster than c so whose right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both. No information is transferred faster than the speed of light.

Here is how I see the situation. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Suppose a beam of photon is polarized. Now split it in two and send one to Mars, keeping the other beam on earth. By measuring the polarity of the one on earth, you instantly know what polarity is the one on Mars.

The same could be said of two unmarked bottle of beers from the same 6-pack. If one of the bottles from the pack is sent to Mars, you still can determine what it is by tasting the ones you kept. The important thing is that you know they are from the same 6-pack. (for photons, you know they are in the same state initially.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonzolo said:
Here is how I see the situation. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Suppose a beam of photon is polarized. Now split it in two and send one to Mars, keeping the other beam on earth. By measuring the polarity of the one on earth, you instantly know what polarity is the one on Mars.

The same could be said of two unmarked bottle of beers from the same 6-pack. If one of the bottles from the pack is sent to Mars, you still can determine what it is by tasting the ones you kept. The important thing is that you know they are from the same 6-pack. (for photons, you know they are in the same state initially.)

I'm not sure if you're trying to illustrate quantum entanglement here in your examples, but this illustrates why this is an important but subtle difference between quantum entanglement AND classical correlation. What you described is classical correlation due to conservation of momentum (either linear or angular). Let me explain...

Say you have an object with a zero angular momentum. At some time, it fragments into two pieces that fly apart in opposite directions. Now, no matter how far apart that object is, the moment I measure the angular momentum of one object, I immediately determine the angular momentum of the other object, ya? This is straightforward classical correlation.

But is this the same as the quantum entanglement as illustrated in the EPR-type experiment? No, it isn't, and the differences are subtle but very important. In the classical case, the angular momentum of both objects are already established - we just don't know it yet till we measure it. In the QM case, the spin state are still in a superposition! And I don't need to repeat the fact that superposition is REAL and has a distinct effect on commuting and non-commuting observables. So in this case, the direction that YOU pick to measure the orientation of the spins CAN be a factor!

I highly recommend you read carefully this link which tries to show the difference between classical correlation and QM entanglement:

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath521/kmath521.htm

This also illustrates the fact that one cannot learn just ONE aspect of QM (such as just entanglement or just superposition), because various parts of it are tightly connected. You can't just read about entanglement without understanding what superposition is, because then you can't tell what is so "weird" about measuring two particles having opposite spins to each other.

Zz.

It takes a fair a amount more mathetmatics than has been used so far in this thread to even demonstrate the existence of the paradox.

See for instance

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/BellsTheorem/BellsTheorem.html

for one example - it's a bit to complicated to type it all into a post.

Generally speaking, one can say that local, realistic theories are not compatible with quantum mechanics in light of the more rigorous arguments such as that presented above. The usual solution is to abandon realism . One way of doing this is commonly called "Many Worlds" - to oversimplify a whole bunch, having more than one reality is sufficient to defeat the arguments based on "realism", while keeping SR.

>The same could be said of two unmarked bottle of beers from the same 6-pack. If one of the bottles from the pack is sent to Mars, you still can determine what it is by tasting the ones you kept. The important thing is that you know they are from the same 6-pack. (for photons, you know they are in the same state initially.)

From on layperson to another, let me see if I can expand the analogy the show the difference. (Caveat: I *think* I've got this right, loosely within the limits of the analogy.)

The two photons are not in the same state, they are in opposite states. But they don't become one of those states until they're measured.

The two beer bottles you pull out are from a pack of "ale-lager" - special beer that is neither ale or lager until you open it, at which time, it becomes one or the other. BUT, if you take *two* bottles, they will not be the same - i.e if the first one you open is ale, the other one *will* be lager.

You fire one off to Mars. You measure the one here on Earth - it becomes lager when you open it. Spookily, the one on Mars *will* be ale. But if the one you opened here on Earth was ale instead, then the one on Mars will be *lager*.

The two beers cooperate one what they end up being, but they don't make that decision until *after* they're too far apart.

The element missing from the descriptions of the quantum experiments is where they point out that the photons *do*not*have* an angular momentum *at*all* (not just unknown, it can be proven that they don't *have* it) until it is actually measured. By the time it is measured the one on Mars is too far away to be affected. Once you factor that in, it becomes spooky.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum blending with a little SR?

Quantum blending with a little SR refers to the combination of principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity. It involves applying concepts from both theories to better understand the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. How does quantum blending with a little SR differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

Quantum blending with a little SR takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in traditional quantum mechanics. This approach allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

3. What are some practical applications of quantum blending with a little SR?

Some potential applications of quantum blending with a little SR include developing more accurate models for particle interactions, improving the precision of atomic clocks and GPS systems, and aiding in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

4. Are there any challenges in incorporating special relativity into quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are still many challenges in incorporating special relativity into quantum mechanics. One major challenge is the mathematical complexity of combining the two theories, as they use different mathematical frameworks. Another challenge is the lack of experimental evidence in certain regimes, making it difficult to test and validate these combined theories.

5. How does quantum blending with a little SR impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum blending with a little SR provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level. It allows us to better understand the complexities of the universe, from the behavior of particles to the structure of spacetime, and can potentially lead to new insights and discoveries in physics.