Quantum Collapse: Unravelling the Mechanics

In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of wavefunction collapse in quantum mechanics and the role of probability in understanding quantum phenomena. It also touches on the issue of consciousness and its impact on the measurement problem. The idea of collapse is questioned and alternative interpretations, such as the deBroglie-Bohm version, are mentioned. The conversation ultimately concludes with a thought experiment involving a car accident to illustrate the concept of collapse or change of the wavefunction.
Ilja said:
Another type of nonsense which is obviously false or makes obviously meaningless assumptions? We have a simple counterexample known as pilot wave theory.

Then I look forward to you publishing your rebuttals to S. Groeblacher et al., Nature v.446, p.871 (2007), and also your counter to Leggett's non-local realistic inequality.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Then I look forward to you publishing your rebuttals to S. Groeblacher et al., Nature v.446, p.871 (2007), and also your counter to Leggett's non-local realistic inequality.

Reading what Groeblacher writes about Bohm (some short comment after eq. (4)), there is no reason to publish any rebuttals. These results rebut some class of nonlocal realistic theories,
which fulfill some inequality found by Legett, which differ from SQM, but not dBB theory, which agrees with SQM.

Ilja said:
Reading what Groeblacher writes about Bohm (some short comment after eq. (4)), there is no reason to publish any rebuttals. These results rebut some class of nonlocal realistic theories,
which fulfill some inequality found by Legett, which differ from SQM, but not dBB theory, which agrees with SQM.

Then which part exactly did you find to be "... of nonsense which is obviously false or makes obviously meaningless assumptions..." when I made a reference to it, or did you not remember making such a statement?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then which part exactly did you find to be "... of nonsense which is obviously false or makes obviously meaningless assumptions..." when I made a reference to it, or did you not remember making such a statement?

Initially I have responded to your claim:

I think I've highlighted a paper in the "Noteworthy papers" sticky that showed that even when one invokes non-locality, one still cannot save realism.

without reading the paper, and therefore I have not made a claim about this paper, but formulated it as a question. This has been marked with the "?" sign.

Now it is clear that it is your claim about the paper which is wrong. One clearly can save realism, in a very simple, well-known, and old way - by using pilot wave theory - and nothing in this paper questions this fact.