Quantum Determinacy: Is Subatomic Event Cause Unknown or Uncertain?

• Thread starter Darwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that events at the subatomic level, such as radioactive decay, may be without cause. While some argue that there may be an underlying cause that we are unable to determine, others believe that this uncertainty is a fundamental aspect of the quantum world. The concept of stimulated emission is also discussed, with the understanding that it is a statistical process and cannot be predicted beforehand. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the idea that the uncertainty and unpredictability of subatomic events is a fundamental aspect of our universe.
Darwin
I have been told that radioactive decay, photon emission and absorption, and other such subatomic events are not deterministic. That besides leaving no clue as to when the event--say, decay--will take place, QM also has found that there IS NO initiating process that kicks off the event. In other words, decay events are uncaused. This, of course, goes beyond the mere inability to predict an event, but speaks to a very fundamental, and exceptionally unique character the subatomic world.

My question then, is: Are such events at the subatomic level, such as radioactive decay, truly without cause, or is it still simply a matter of we don't or can't know the cause?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'S' in LASER stands for stimulated. I had always heard that, while sometimes an atom will emit a photon spontaneously, an atom can also be induced (or 'stimulated') to emit a photon. Still, that leaves an interesting class of phenomena that truly appear to be without an initiating process, as you put it. Einstein sure thought there was an as-yet undetermined underlying cause, but I think his point of view is a minority one among physicists.

All I can say is there is absolutely no reason for anything in the quantum world aside from what WE give it. So say a light beam takes two paths to two detectors before reaching only one and disappearing from the other. There was no reason for it to choose anyone path. This means there was no cause and we could not predict it. But why can't it always go down one path by being random instead of interchanging? This would mean that if it did go down one path all the time WE could predict it. There would be a cause (but there isn't one - we only think there is. So somehow by viewing which path the light went down meaning WE think the light went down causes the light to go down the other path just to contradict our meaningful observation such that we could not predict it, and there would then be no reason which would contradict our common sense.

Is Stimulated Emission Deterministic?

while sometimes an atom will emit a photon spontaneously, an atom can also be induced (or 'stimulated') to emit a photon.

If I understand correctly, this is also a statistical thing. Under the right conditions, the number of atoms that emit photons will be higher than you would normally expect, so we say that some fraction of the radiation is "stimulated". But I don't think you can point to one particular atom and say, 'that one radiated spontaneously', and 'that other one was stimulated'. You can't even predict beforehand which ones will emit at all.

Last edited:
It is true that we cannot say when an atom will emit a photon, because it is a statistical process. However, the photons atoms emit stems from the excitation of electrons into higher "orbits". We can see if the atom has a free lower "orbit" and so it is a matter of time when the electrons jumps.

We cannot see on an atom if it was stimulated or spontaneously excited.

I firmly believe that this uncertainty is a truly fundamental part of our universe.

1. What is quantum determinacy?

Quantum determinacy refers to the principle in quantum mechanics that states that the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles are governed by deterministic laws. This means that the outcome of a subatomic event can be predicted with certainty, given sufficient knowledge of the initial conditions.

2. Is the cause of subatomic events unknown or uncertain?

This is a debated topic in quantum mechanics. Some scientists argue that the cause of subatomic events is unknown, as they are inherently random and cannot be predicted. Others argue that the cause is uncertain, as there may be hidden variables at play that we are not yet aware of.

3. How does quantum determinacy differ from classical determinism?

Classical determinism states that all events in the universe are predetermined by initial conditions. In contrast, quantum determinacy acknowledges that there is an element of uncertainty in subatomic events, but this uncertainty can still be described by deterministic laws.

4. Can quantum determinacy be proven?

No, quantum determinacy cannot be proven as it is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics. However, numerous experiments have been conducted that support the idea of deterministic laws governing subatomic events.

5. What are the implications of quantum determinacy?

The implications of quantum determinacy are still being explored and debated. Some argue that it challenges our understanding of free will and the role of consciousness in the universe. Others suggest that it could lead to advancements in technology and the development of quantum computing.