1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum harmonic oscillator: average number of energy levels

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I must find the average number of energy levels of quantum harmonic oscillator at temperature T, and the answer is given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-11-27.png

I must use Boltzmann distribution and the sum of geometric progression. For finding the average value I must use the equation

<F>=trace(F*rho)

Where rho is the density matrix, given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-15-39.png

Where p is the probability and n is the energy eigenstate of oscillator. For F I must use b+b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

upload_2015-2-8_17-30-31.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your expression for p(n) needs to be normalized so that the sum of all probabilities equals 1.

If Amn are the matrix elements of a matrix A, how do you find the trace? If A is the matrix inside of your trace expression, can you find an explicit expression for Amn?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    It would be sum ∑Amm over m

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes,

For an operator A, how would you express Amm in bra-ket notation?

6. Feb 10, 2015 #5
    That would be <m|A|m> . So applying that I think I would get

upload_2015-2-10_19-2-29.png

But still, how to apply b+b to that sum?

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6
    I got it wrong, <m|n>=kronecker's delta not unit matrix .... but that means I would lose the sum altogether!

EDIT:
    Still wrong, the trace is also sum Σ<m|A|m> over m so in the end it should be the way I showed in the last post. But the question of b+b remains

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. Feb 10, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have neglected the effect of the operator ##b^{\dagger}b##. You can bring ##b^{\dagger}b## inside your sum over n and let it act on |n>.

9. Feb 10, 2015 #8
    That would bring n in front of |n> and I would get the sum:

upload_2015-2-10_19-28-32.png

But this is not geometric progression

10. Feb 10, 2015 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, you did not normalize your probabilities. So, your result so far is off by an overall normalization factor ##Z##. The first exponential in your result does not depend on the index n, so you can pull it out of the sum. You are left with$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$ where ##\beta =1/ kT##.

The trick is to note that $$ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega} = -\frac{1}{\hbar \omega} \frac{\partial }{\partial \beta}e^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$.

11. Feb 10, 2015 #10
    Thank you. The sum of arithmetic-geometric series would yield the same result: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetico-geometric_sequence#Sum_to_infinite_terms

I get

upload_2015-2-10_20-50-37.png

However, are you sure it is the right result? I can't see how it simplifies to upload_2015-2-10_20-51-40.png . Or do I just need some extra normalization?

Edit:

I think according to normalization I should just take

upload_2015-2-10_20-59-55.png

And I can see how it gives me the answer I require ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  12. Feb 10, 2015 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you put in your normalization factor for the probabilities, you'll see that you'll get the desired result.

13. Feb 10, 2015 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14. Feb 10, 2015 #13
    I need to divide the result with Z?

15. Feb 10, 2015 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It's important to understand that your original expressions for the p(n)'s needed to be divided by ##Z##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted