Quantum harmonic oscillator: average number of energy levels

In summary: Because ##Z## effectively accounts for the fact that the sum of all p(n)'s must be 1. So now, when you have your final answer, it will also be multiplied by ##Z##.In summary, the conversation is about finding the average number of energy levels of a quantum harmonic oscillator at temperature T using the Boltzmann distribution and sum of geometric progression. The formula <F>=trace(F*rho) is used, where rho is the density matrix and p is the probability and n is the energy eigenstate of the oscillator. The trace is expressed as <m|A|m>, and the operator b+b is used to bring n in front of |n> in the sum. The result is simplified
Earthland

Homework Statement

I must find the average number of energy levels of quantum harmonic oscillator at temperature T, and the answer is given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-11-27.png

I must use Boltzmann distribution and the sum of geometric progression. For finding the average value I must use the equation

<F>=trace(F*rho)

Where rho is the density matrix, given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-15-39.png

Where p is the probability and n is the energy eigenstate of oscillator. For F I must use b+b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
upload_2015-2-8_17-30-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-8_17-13-48.png
    upload_2015-2-8_17-13-48.png
    542 bytes · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for p(n) needs to be normalized so that the sum of all probabilities equals 1.

If Amn are the matrix elements of a matrix A, how do you find the trace? If A is the matrix inside of your trace expression, can you find an explicit expression for Amn?

Last edited:
It would be sum ∑Amm over m

Earthland said:
It would be sum ∑Amm over m
Yes,

For an operator A, how would you express Amm in bra-ket notation?

That would be <m|A|m> . So applying that I think I would get

upload_2015-2-10_19-2-29.png

But still, how to apply b+b to that sum?

I got it wrong, <m|n>=kronecker's delta not unit matrix ... but that means I would lose the sum altogether!

EDIT:
Still wrong, the trace is also sum Σ<m|A|m> over m so in the end it should be the way I showed in the last post. But the question of b+b remains

Last edited:
You have neglected the effect of the operator ##b^{\dagger}b##. You can bring ##b^{\dagger}b## inside your sum over n and let it act on |n>.

That would bring n in front of |n> and I would get the sum:

upload_2015-2-10_19-28-32.png

But this is not geometric progression

Remember, you did not normalize your probabilities. So, your result so far is off by an overall normalization factor ##Z##. The first exponential in your result does not depend on the index n, so you can pull it out of the sum. You are left with$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$ where ##\beta =1/ kT##.

The trick is to note that $$ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega} = -\frac{1}{\hbar \omega} \frac{\partial }{\partial \beta}e^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$.

Thank you. The sum of arithmetic-geometric series would yield the same result: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetico-geometric_sequence#Sum_to_infinite_terms

I get

upload_2015-2-10_20-50-37.png

However, are you sure it is the right result? I can't see how it simplifies to
upload_2015-2-10_20-51-40.png
. Or do I just need some extra normalization?

Edit:

I think according to normalization I should just take

upload_2015-2-10_20-59-55.png

And I can see how it gives me the answer I require ;)

Last edited:
Once you put in your normalization factor for the probabilities, you'll see that you'll get the desired result.

I need to divide the result with Z?

Yes. It's important to understand that your original expressions for the p(n)'s needed to be divided by ##Z##.

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion, similar to a mass on a spring. It is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles that are confined and subject to a restoring force.

2. How is the average number of energy levels calculated in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula n = (Emax - Emin)/hω, where Emax and Emin are the maximum and minimum energy levels, and h is Planck's constant. The value of n is always a positive integer, representing the number of energy levels present in the system.

3. How does the average number of energy levels change with increasing energy in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator increases with increasing energy. This is because as the energy increases, the difference between the maximum and minimum energy levels also increases, resulting in a larger number of energy levels within this range.

4. What is the significance of the average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator is significant as it provides information about the energy distribution within the system. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the system and can be used to calculate other important quantities, such as the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state.

5. Can the average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator be fractional?

No, the average number of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator must always be a positive integer. This is because energy levels in quantum systems are quantized, meaning they can only take on discrete values and cannot be fractional.