Quantum harmonic oscillator: average number of energy levels

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
Earthland
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I must find the average number of energy levels of quantum harmonic oscillator at temperature T, and the answer is given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-11-27.png


I must use Boltzmann distribution and the sum of geometric progression. For finding the average value I must use the equation

<F>=trace(F*rho)

Where rho is the density matrix, given as

upload_2015-2-8_17-15-39.png


Where p is the probability and n is the energy eigenstate of oscillator. For F I must use b+b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
upload_2015-2-8_17-30-31.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-2-8_17-13-48.png
    upload_2015-2-8_17-13-48.png
    542 bytes · Views: 647
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for p(n) needs to be normalized so that the sum of all probabilities equals 1.

If Amn are the matrix elements of a matrix A, how do you find the trace? If A is the matrix inside of your trace expression, can you find an explicit expression for Amn?
 
Last edited:
Earthland said:
It would be sum ∑Amm over m
Yes,

For an operator A, how would you express Amm in bra-ket notation?
 
That would be <m|A|m> . So applying that I think I would get

upload_2015-2-10_19-2-29.png


But still, how to apply b+b to that sum?
 
I got it wrong, <m|n>=kronecker's delta not unit matrix ... but that means I would lose the sum altogether!

EDIT:
Still wrong, the trace is also sum Σ<m|A|m> over m so in the end it should be the way I showed in the last post. But the question of b+b remains
 
Last edited:
You have neglected the effect of the operator ##b^{\dagger}b##. You can bring ##b^{\dagger}b## inside your sum over n and let it act on |n>.
 
That would bring n in front of |n> and I would get the sum:

upload_2015-2-10_19-28-32.png


But this is not geometric progression
 
Remember, you did not normalize your probabilities. So, your result so far is off by an overall normalization factor ##Z##. The first exponential in your result does not depend on the index n, so you can pull it out of the sum. You are left with$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$ where ##\beta =1/ kT##.

The trick is to note that $$ne^{-n \beta \hbar \omega} = -\frac{1}{\hbar \omega} \frac{\partial }{\partial \beta}e^{-n \beta \hbar \omega}$$.
 
Once you put in your normalization factor for the probabilities, you'll see that you'll get the desired result.
 
Yes. It's important to understand that your original expressions for the p(n)'s needed to be divided by ##Z##.