1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Harmonic Oscillator ladder operator

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the effect of the sequence of ladder operators acting on the ground eigenfunction [itex]\psi_0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger\psi_0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if I'm right but wouldn't this sequence of opperators on the ground state result in zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I thought so. This is part of a larger question concerning the expectation value of [itex]\left\langle p^4_x \right\rangle[/itex]. We are asked to show that

[itex]\left\langle p^4_x \right\rangle=\displaystyle\frac{ \hbar^4}{4 a^4}\left[ \displaystyle\int^\infty _{-\infty} \psi^*_0 \left(\hat{A}\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}^\dagger + \hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger + \hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger\right) \psi_0 dx \right]=\displaystyle\frac{3 \hbar^4}{4 a^4}[/itex]

Where [itex]\psi_0=\left( \displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}a} \right)^\frac{1}{2}e^{-x^2/2a^2}[/itex]

This is not what I get. Due to [itex]\hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger\psi_0=0[/itex] I get [itex]\displaystyle\frac{2 \hbar^4}{4 a^4}[/itex] am I missing something?
    Thanks

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are you getting for the other terms? It works out as it should for me. The first term should give you a 2 by itself.

6. Apr 2, 2013 #5
    As the first two sequences of operators preserve the ground eigenfunction and the last sequence zero, I get

[itex]\left\langle p^4_x \right\rangle=\displaystyle\frac{ \hbar^4}{4 a^4}\left[ 2 \displaystyle\int^\infty _{-\infty} \psi^*_0 \psi_0 dx \right]=\displaystyle\frac{2 \hbar^4}{4 a^4}[/itex]

Thanks

7. Apr 2, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Remember that the raising and lowering operators don't simply change the state but introduce a multiplicative factor as well.

8. Apr 2, 2013 #7
    Right so I should be looking at [itex]\hat{A}\hat{A}^\dagger-\hat{A}^\dagger\hat{A}=1[/itex]?

9. Apr 3, 2013 #8
    Hi

Thanks for your help what I needed was [itex]\sqrt{n}\psi_{n-1}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{n+1}[/itex]. I now get the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted