1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum harmonic oscillator, uncertainty relation

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle with mass m oscillates in a simple harmonic potential with frequency ω. The position, x, and momentum operator, p, of the particle can be expressed in terms of the annihilation and creation operator (a and a respectively):
    x = (ħ/2mω)^0.5 * (a + a)
    p = i(ħmω/2)^0.5 * (a - a)
    The annihilation and creation operators satisfy the following commutation relations:
    [a,a] = 1
    The eigenvalue equation of a is found as:
    a|α> = α|α>
    Where |α> is a coherent state
    a) Find the expectation value <a> in coherent state |α>
    b) Find the expectation values of <aa>, <aa>, and <aa>
    c) Calculate the uncertainty relation (<(x-<x>)2><(p-<p>)2>)0.5
    2. Relevant equations
    Relevant equations given above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've worked through most of the problem and only noticed that I may have done something wrong when I got to part c, where the expression that I get for <x> causes the expectation value <(x-<x>)2> to be equal to 0, which also means the uncertainty relation is equal to 0. I think the error may be when I wrote the eigenvalue equation for a in bra notation like this:
    <α|a = <α|α*
    Is this the correct way of expressing the eigenvalue equation given in the question in bra notation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct. But I don't know where you went wrong unless you provide your calculation.

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    If that is correct then the expectation values are as follows; <a>=α*, <a> = α, <aa> = α2, <aa> = α*2, and <aa> = <aa> = αα*.

This means that the expectation value <x> is: <x> = (ħ/2mω)0.5(<a> + <a>) = (ħ/2mω)0.5(α* + α)

So the expression (x-<x>)2 = x2 - 2x(ħ/2mω)0.5(α* + α) + (ħ/2mω)(α* + α)2

So the expectation value from the uncertainty relation is: <(x-<x>)2> = <x2> - 2*(ħ/2mω)0.5(α*+α)<x> + (ħ/2mω)(α* + α)2

The expectation value <x2> is:
    <x2> = (ħ/2mω)(<aa> + <aa> + <aa> + <aa>) = (ħ/2mω)(α* + α)2

If you sub the expression for <x> and <x2> back into the expression for <(x-<x>)2> it ends up reducing to 0

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's where you go wrong. Your ##\langle a^\dagger a \rangle## is correct, but your ##\langle aa^\dagger \rangle## is not. To calculate the latter, you could have used the commutation between the annihilation and raising operators and ##\langle a^\dagger a \rangle##.

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5
    Okay so you are saying that <aa> = αα* is correct, then using the commutation relation:

[a,a] = aa - aa = 1, therefore: aa = 1 + aa

So then the expectation value of aa is: <aa> = 1 + <aa> = 1 + αα*

Is that correct?

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

8. Mar 28, 2016 #7
    Okay thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted