Quantum Spin Measurement: Determining Input State and Probabilities

• Thread starter Delong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, a student is asking for help on a take-home quiz question from the textbook Quantum Mechanics by David McIntyre. However, it is unclear if the student is allowed to receive help on this question. If seeking help, it is recommended to start a new thread in the Homework Help, Advanced Physics forum, and follow the guidelines provided.
Delong
I have this take home I would like some help on thanks:
"The spin components of a beam of atoms prepared in the state |ψ>are measured and the following experimental probabilities are obtained:

P+z=1/2
P-Z=1/2
P+x=3/4
P-x=1/4

(i.e., if the beam of atoms goes through a single Stern-Gerlach setup in the x-direction, 3/4 of the particles are measured to have spin up in the x-direction and 1/4 of the particles are measured to have spin down in the x-direction.)

1. From the experimental data, determine the input state as a linear combination of |=>z and |->z (i.e. determine as much of each coefficient of the two states in the sum). Show your work. With no lossof generality, you may assume that the coefficient of |+>z is real but the coefficient of |->z is not.

2. Determine P+y and P-y."

here's my attempt: the linear combination I got is 1/(2)^1/2 for |+>z and -i/(2)^1/2 for |->z. Not sure where to go from there. Thanks for any help I can get!

Physics news on Phys.org
Delong said:
I have this take home I would like some help on thanks:
"The spin components of a beam of atoms prepared in the state |ψ>are measured and the following experimental probabilities are obtained:

P+z=1/2
P-Z=1/2
P+x=3/4
P-x=1/4

(i.e., if the beam of atoms goes through a single Stern-Gerlach setup in the x-direction, 3/4 of the particles are measured to have spin up in the x-direction and 1/4 of the particles are measured to have spin down in the x-direction.)

1. From the experimental data, determine the input state as a linear combination of |=>z and |->z (i.e. determine as much of each coefficient of the two states in the sum). Show your work. With no lossof generality, you may assume that the coefficient of |+>z is real but the coefficient of |->z is not.

2. Determine P+y and P-y."

here's my attempt: the linear combination I got is 1/(2)^1/2 for |+>z and -i/(2)^1/2 for |->z. Not sure where to go from there. Thanks for any help I can get!

What do you mean by "take home"? Is this question from a take-home exam? If so, are you allowed to ask for tutorial help on the Internet for the exam?

It's a take home quiz. I'm don't know if I'm allowed or not but my professor never said anything against it so here I am.

Delong said:
It's a take home quiz. I'm don't know if I'm allowed or not but my professor never said anything against it so here I am.

We don't generally help with take-home exams. If you can get an e-mail from the professor, you can PM it to me.

It's actually a question from Quantum Mecahnics by David McIntyre and I'd love some direction.

once_more said:
It's actually a question from Quantum Mecahnics by David McIntyre and I'd love some direction.
Welcome to the PF.

So it doesn't look like (based on how old this thread is) the OP had permission to get help on his exam question. If you'd like help with the textbook question, please go ahead and start a new thread here in the Homework Help, Advanced Physics forum, and fill out the HH Template that you are provided. You should get good help as long as you show your efforts. :smile:

1. What is quantum spin measurement?

Quantum spin measurement is a process in which the spin state of a quantum system is determined through experimental measurements. It involves measuring the direction and magnitude of the spin of a particle, which can be either up or down.

2. How is quantum spin measured?

Quantum spin is measured using devices called Stern-Gerlach apparatus, which use magnetic fields to deflect the spin of particles and measure their direction and magnitude. The results of these measurements can then be used to determine the input state of a quantum system and the probabilities of obtaining a certain spin state.

3. What is the importance of quantum spin measurement?

Quantum spin measurement is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their applications in technologies such as quantum computing. It also plays a crucial role in confirming the principles of quantum mechanics and testing theories about the nature of reality at a subatomic level.

4. Can quantum spin be measured with 100% accuracy?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to measure both the spin direction and magnitude of a particle with 100% accuracy. The more precisely one quantity is measured, the less precisely the other can be known. However, with multiple measurements and statistical analysis, a high degree of accuracy can still be achieved.

5. How is quantum spin measurement used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, quantum spin is used to represent and manipulate information in the form of quantum bits (qubits). Quantum spin measurement is necessary to read the state of qubits and perform operations based on their spin states, which allows for the processing of complex calculations and algorithms at a much faster rate than classical computing.