Quantum math on GHZ state equation

In summary: Plugging these values into equation (1), we get equation (4).In summary, the researchers used vector algebra and substitution to derive equation (4) from the original equation (1). I hope this helps to clarify the steps they took. If you have any further questions, please let us know.
ljagerman
Interested in recent tests of quantum nonlocality in 3-photon GHZ entanglement.
Looking at key paper by Pan, Bouwmeester, Daniell, Weinfurter & Zeilinger in Nature, 403, 2 Feb 2000, p. 515-518.
Key equation is for entangled 3-photon GHZ state; their equation (1):
|Ψ⟩=1/√2 (|H⟩_1 |H⟩_2 |H⟩_3 + |V⟩_1 |V⟩_2 |V⟩_3); no problem here.
Then the experiments introduce optical devices to rotate polarization and induce circluar polarization; equations here are (their (2) and (3): [ʘR=right-handed circular polarization, etc.]
Pair (2): |H/⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+|V⟩) and |V/⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+|V⟩)
Pair (3): |ʘR⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩+i|V⟩) and |ʘL⟩ =1/√2 |H⟩-i|V⟩)
This looks like simple vector trig in a unit circle.
Now they solve (1) above with (2) and (3), and they arrive at their equation (4):
|Ψ⟩=1/2 (|ʘR⟩_1 |ʘL⟩_2 |H/⟩_3 +
|ʘL⟩_1 |ʘR⟩_2 |H/⟩_3 +
|ʘR⟩_1 |ʘR⟩_2 |V/⟩_3 +
|ʘL⟩_1 |ʘL⟩_2 |V/⟩_3).
(I spread it out into 4 lines to make it easier to read.)
My question: How did they get to (4)? What vector-algebraic (? or other) steps did they use? I'm guessing it's some form of substitution.
I know a little about Dirac notation, wave functions, polarization, etc, but not enough to see how equation (4) was derived.
Please help if you can!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in recent tests of quantum nonlocality and for bringing up this paper by Pan, Bouwmeester, Daniell, Weinfurter, and Zeilinger. The key equation, |Ψ⟩=1/√2 (|H⟩_1 |H⟩_2 |H⟩_3 + |V⟩_1 |V⟩_2 |V⟩_3), represents a 3-photon GHZ state, where |H⟩ and |V⟩ represent horizontal and vertical polarizations, respectively.

To understand how equation (4) was derived, we need to look at the optical devices introduced in the experiments. These devices are used to manipulate the polarizations of the photons, and the equations (2) and (3) show the effect of these devices on the polarizations.

In equation (2), the pair of states |H/⟩ and |V/⟩ represent right-handed and left-handed circular polarizations, respectively. These are obtained by adding the |H⟩ and |V⟩ states in equal proportions and dividing by √2. Similarly, in equation (3), the pair of states |ʘR⟩ and |ʘL⟩ represent right and left circular polarizations with a phase difference of π/2. These are obtained by adding the |H⟩ and i|V⟩ states (for |ʘR⟩) or the |H⟩ and -i|V⟩ states (for |ʘL⟩) in equal proportions and dividing by √2.

Now, to get to equation (4), we need to substitute these pairs of states into the original equation (1). This is where the vector algebra comes in. We can think of the states as vectors in a 3-dimensional space, with the horizontal polarization represented by the x-axis, vertical polarization by the y-axis, and circular polarizations by the z-axis.

So, for example, the state |H/⟩ can be represented as a vector (1/√2, 1/√2, 0), and the state |V/⟩ as (1/√2, -1/√2, 0). Similarly, |ʘR⟩ can be represented as (1/√2, 0, i/√2) and |ʘL⟩ as (1/√2, 0, -i

1. What is a GHZ state equation?

A GHZ state equation is a mathematical representation of a quantum state involving three or more particles that are entangled with each other. It is named after the physicists Daniel Greenberger, Michael Horne, and Anton Zeilinger who first proposed it in 1989.

2. How is quantum math used in the GHZ state equation?

Quantum math is used to describe the state of a system of particles that are entangled with each other. In the GHZ state equation, quantum math is used to represent the probability amplitudes of the different possible outcomes when measuring the state of the particles.

3. What makes the GHZ state equation unique compared to other quantum state equations?

The GHZ state equation is unique because it involves three or more particles that are entangled with each other. This means that the state of one particle cannot be described independently from the others, and measuring one particle affects the state of the others.

4. How is the GHZ state equation used in quantum computing?

The GHZ state equation is used in quantum computing to represent the state of multiple qubits (quantum bits) that are entangled with each other. This allows for more complex calculations and algorithms to be performed, making quantum computers more powerful than classical computers.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the GHZ state equation?

Currently, there are no widely used real-world applications of the GHZ state equation. However, it is an important concept in quantum information theory and has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation.