Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantum Mechanics and GR

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    Physicists try to unite Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. QM deals with three forces in nature (i.e., strong, weak , electromagnetism), while GR deals with geometry of space. How can one unite 3 forces and geometry?
    If one thinks of gravity as a force (not geometry), would one have a better chance at uniting it with the 3 other forces?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is basically asking "what will a theory of quantum gravity look like"? That question is much too broad. If you have a specific source (textbook or peer-reviewed paper) that proposes a specific model of quantum gravity, you can ask questions about it in a new thread. This thread is closed.

4. Jun 23, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is a very deep question and to think that by adjusting the wording i.e. considering gravity as a force will solve it is being very naive.

Here's a laymans discussion on the question:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...nite-quantum-mechanics-general-relativity.htm

Basically the difference is that GR treats spacetime as a smooth continuous entity whereas quantum mechanics treats spacetime as quantized entity. It's like how lines are drawn on paper versus a computer screen. On paper or ideally, the line continuous at any magnificationwhereas on a computer screen as you zoom in you begin to see it's pixelated nature.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook