Quantum Mechanics Help: Struggling with Homework

In summary, the homework statement is asking for help with a difficult quantum mechanics question. The author is struggling to understand what the entries in a matrix H represent. The first step is to find the matrix E_2-E_1 that is orthogonal to v_1 and v_2. This can be done using the orthogonality of the v_i. After multiplying out the brackets, the author uses orthogonality of the v_i to get E_2 cos{\varphi}^{2} < v_1 |v_2 > - E_1 cos{\varphi}sin{\varphi} < v_1 |v_1 > + E_2 cos
Ben26

Homework Statement

I am working through past paper questions because i am finding the quantum mechanics module I am taking very hard. I don't know how to go about this question:
2j4bpmc.jpg

Any help would be very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
What entries does [tex]\left \langle i \left|\hat{H}\right \left| j \rangle[/tex] refrer to?

well if i=v_e and j=v_u then i reckon your meant to compute the matrix element

[itex] <v_e | \hat{H} | v_\mu >[/itex]

multiply out those matrices in your first post to get [itex]v_e,v_\mu[/itex] in terms of v1 and v2 and then see what you get...

[tex]\left|v_{e}\right\rangle=\left|v_{1}\right\rangle cos \varphi + \left|v_{2}\right\rangle sin \varphi[/tex] for i

[tex]\left|v_{\mu}\right\rangle=\left|v_{2}\right\rangle cos \varphi - \left|v_{1}\right\rangle sin \varphi[/tex] for j

Still can't see how i get to [tex]<v_e|\hat{H}|v_{\mu}>[/tex]

Not that i know what [tex]<v_e|\hat{H}|v_{\mu}>[/tex] is or should look like...

well you can write this as

[itex] \left( \cos{\varphi} < v_1 | + \sin{\varphi} < v_2 | \right) \hat{H} \left(\cos{\varphi} | v_2 > - \sin{\varphi} | v_1 > \right)[/itex]

see what happens after you apply the Hamiltonian on the second bracket

also, you do know what [itex]<i|\hat{H}|j>[/itex] is - it is the [itex]ij^{th}[/itex] entry in this matrix. as for what it looks like, well, that's going to be the answer to the quesiton.

[itex]
\left( \cos{\varphi} < v_1 | + \sin{\varphi} < v_2 | \right) \left(\cos{\varphi}\hat{H} | v_2 > - \sin{\varphi} \hat{H}| v_1 > \right)
[/itex]

[itex]=
\left( \cos{\varphi} < v_1 | + \sin{\varphi} < v_2 | \right) \left(\cos{\varphi}\ E_{2} | v_2 > - \sin{\varphi} \ E_{1}| v_1 > \right)
[/itex]

before i continue, is this right?

looks fine.
now use orthogonality of the [itex]v_i[/itex] when you multiply out the brackets.

latentcorpse said:
now use orthogonality of the [itex]v_i[/itex] when you multiply out the brackets.

IE. The fact that [itex]<v_a|v_b>[/itex] is the inner product of states [itex]v_a[/itex] and [itex]v_b[/itex] and that [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] are orthogonal.

[itex]
=
E_{2} cos{\varphi}^{2} < v_1 |v_2 > - E_{1} cos{\varphi}sin{\varphi} < v_1 |v_1 > + E_{2} cos{\varphi}sin{\varphi} < v_2 |v_2 > - E_{1} sin{\varphi}^{2} < v_2 |v_1 >

[/itex]

[itex]
=
E_{2} sin{\varphi}cos{\varphi} - E_{1} sin{\varphi}cos{\varphi}
[/itex]

Is this right? I still need to get to a matrix somehow...

ok so, i think i probably could have explained myself better earlier but nonetheless...

ok so this entry we have [itex](E_2-E_1) \sin{\varphi} \cos{\varphi}[/itex]

so you're trying to get this matrix H where the entries in H are given by [itex]<i|\hat{H}|j>[/itex] and [itex]i,j \in \{ v_e , v_\mu \}[/itex]

H will look something like this
[itex] \left[ \begin {array}{cc} \left[ \begin {array}{ccc} < v_{{e}}& | \hat{H} |&v_{{e
}} > \end {array} \right] & \left[ \begin {array}{ccc} < v_{{e}}& | \hat{H} | &v_{{\mu}} >
\end {array} \right] \\ \noalign{\medskip} \left[ \begin {array}{ccc}
< v_{{\mu}}& | \hat{H} | &v_{{e}} > \end {array} \right] & \left[ \begin {array}{ccc} < v_{
{\mu}}& | \hat{H} | & v_{{\mu}} > \end {array} \right] \end {array} \right] [/itex]

so we have computed the entry that goes in the first row,2nd column

3 similar calculations will give you the other entries though.

Finally got there! Thanks for your help!

25qal3k.gif

...continuing from the same question, here is the next bit which i have tried but cannot do:

21bw3k6.jpg

i think i should be looking at

[tex]
\left|v_{e}\right\rangle=\left|v_{1}\right\rangle cos \varphi + \left|v_{2}\right\rangle sin \varphi
[/tex]
[tex]
\left|v_{\mu}\right\rangle=\left|v_{2}\right\rangle cos \varphi - \left|v_{1}\right\rangle sin \varphi
[/tex]

and i can kind of see that if you translate the [tex]
\varphi
[/tex] by [tex]\pi /2 [/tex] then [tex]

\left|v_{e}\right\rangle[/tex] becomes [tex]

\left|v_{\mu}\right\rangle[/tex]

Is this the explanation?

any ideas? I am really stuck...

what's JPARC and T2K?

Its a place in Japan where they are experimenting with neutrinos, i think its irrelevant to the question.

Last edited:
JPARC is the accelerator and T2K is the experiment name.

any ideas on how to go about answering this?

1. What is the purpose of studying quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy, and has led to numerous technological advancements such as transistors and lasers.

2. What are the key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These concepts help us understand the behavior of particles at a quantum level and explain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics.

3. How can I apply quantum mechanics in my everyday life?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract and theoretical, it has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is used in the development of electronic devices, medical imaging technology, and encryption methods for secure communication.

4. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

One common misconception about quantum mechanics is that it only applies to very small objects. In reality, the principles of quantum mechanics also apply to larger objects, but the effects are not as noticeable. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics can predict the exact behavior of particles, when in fact it can only provide probabilities of certain outcomes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of quantum mechanics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of quantum mechanics is to practice solving problems and working through examples. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or tutoring sessions. Additionally, discussing concepts with peers or a knowledgeable mentor can help clarify any confusion and deepen your understanding of the subject.