Quantum Physics in the Body: Energy

In summary, a pulsed dye laser with a wavelength of 576 nm and a pulse duration of 456 µs can be used to remove vascular lesions by targeting the hemoglobin in blood. To estimate the power needed for this laser surgery, it is assumed that blood has the same specific heat capacity and heat of vaporization as water. Using this assumption, the energy required to remove 2.5 µg of blood by evaporating it at 33°C is calculated to be 6.341825e-3 J. To find the power output of the laser, this energy is divided by the pulse duration, resulting in a power output of 13.9076 W. Additionally, the number of photons delivered per pulse can be calculated
TJDF

Homework Statement

A pulsed dye laser emits light of wavelength 576 nm in pulses of 456 µs duration. This light is absorbed by the hemoglobin in the blood and can therefore be used to remove vascular lesions, such as certain blemishes and birthmarks. To get an estimate for the power required for this laser surgery, assume that blood has the same specific heat capacity (4190 J/(kg·K)) and heat of vaporisation (2.256×106 J/kg) as water. Suppose that each pulse must remove 2.5 µg of blood by evaporating it, starting at 33 °C.
a) How much energy must the pulse deliver to the blemish?
b) What must be the power output of the laser?
c) How many photons does each pulse deliver?

Homework Equations

Q = m*c*delta(t)
f = c/wavelength
E = h*f

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start this... but I'd really appreciate the help, especially an answer to part a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay... I'm starting to make some progress, but I keep getting stuck in my ideas...

Energy to Vaporize = Q = m*l = (2.5e-9 kg)(2.256×106 J/kg) = 5.64e-03 J...
so...
Q = m*c*delta(t) ; delta(t) = Q/(m*c) = 5.64e-03 J/[(2.5e-9 kg)x(4190 J/(kg·K))]
delta(t) = 538.42 K

but... I don't understand... This means there's a difference...
33°C = 306.15 K, so there's a difference of 232.275 K.

What can I do with this?

Your thermal energy for vaporizing blood is correct. But you start out at 33°C and blood might not undergo a phase transition then, right? You might have to add additional heat to get the temperature high enough to reach the temperature at which blood transitions from a liquid to a gas.

It looks like you attempted to find the temperature at which blood transitions from a liquid to a gas. My guess is is that you're supposed to use the boiling point of water.

Ah, that's very interesting!
I never though of using that 100°C boiling point.
so, with that...
Energy to Vaporize = Q = m*l = (2.5e-9 kg)(2.256×106 J/kg) = 5.64e-03 J
and
Q = m*c*delta(t) = (2.5e-9 kg)(4190 J/(kg·K))(67K) = 7.01825e-4 J

adding these two values... Q1 +Q2 = 6.341825e-3 J, which makes sense...

now,
b) What must be the power output of the laser?
c) How many photons does each pulse deliver?

ideas there?

Well how do we define power?

Okay, I figured out b...

I thought, since a J/s is a W...

Then the energy, (6.341825e-3 J)/0.000456s = 13.9076 W...

so far, so good... now, c.

I figured out c too!
Thank you so much for your help!

Looks right so far.

EDIT: Nice, good job.

1. What is quantum physics and how does it relate to the body?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. In relation to the body, quantum physics explains how energy is exchanged and transformed within our cells and how this energy affects our overall health and well-being.

2. How does the body utilize energy at a quantum level?

At the quantum level, our cells and molecules are constantly exchanging energy through processes such as photosynthesis, metabolism, and cellular respiration. Additionally, quantum effects such as tunneling and entanglement play a role in how energy is transferred and used within the body.

3. Can quantum physics explain the mind-body connection?

While there is still much research to be done, some scientists believe that quantum physics can provide insight into the mind-body connection. Quantum processes have been observed in the brain, and some theories suggest that consciousness may arise from quantum interactions within the brain.

4. How can understanding quantum physics help with healing and wellness?

By understanding how energy is exchanged and utilized at the quantum level, we can potentially develop new treatments and therapies for various illnesses and conditions. Additionally, by harnessing the power of quantum effects, we may be able to enhance our overall well-being and promote healing in the body.

5. Is there any evidence to support the role of quantum physics in the body?

While the study of quantum physics in relation to the body is still in its early stages, there is some evidence to suggest its significance. For example, research has shown that quantum processes play a role in photosynthesis, which is essential for all living organisms. Additionally, studies have found that quantum tunneling may be involved in certain biochemical reactions in our cells.