1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum singularity reactor: theoretically possible?

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    I’ve seen quantum singularity reactors on Star Trek and Babylon 5, and I’ve got a few questions. First of course, are they theoretically possible? How would they work exactly? And how much power could they generate? (One such reactor on a starship in Babylon 5 generates 330 exawatts, for instance, though I don’t know if such a thing is possible.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2
    What is a quantum singularity reactor? : )

Seratend.

4. Jan 21, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds extremely interesting...All this fcience-siction is driving me crazy... :tongue2:

Daniel.

5. Jan 21, 2005 #4
    Cool!!! Just what I need to power my tardis. Those flux capacitors really eat the exawatts! :biggrin:

6. Jan 21, 2005 #5
    The little I have read on it suggests it's the same as what goes inside a black hole, some kind of artificial gravity well. A singularity is a point in space in which physical laws supposedly break down. Matter is continuously fed into the singularity, and this somehow causes an enormous energy release to be used. I have heard it claim to be even more efficient and powerful than a matter/antimatter reactor, which I found interesting. As you may know, a matter/antimatter reactor would yield roughly 90,000 terajoules per kilogram of mass, so the possibility of being more powerful and efficient than a matter/antimatter reactor intrigued me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?