Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum singularity reactor: theoretically possible?

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    I’ve seen quantum singularity reactors on Star Trek and Babylon 5, and I’ve got a few questions. First of course, are they theoretically possible? How would they work exactly? And how much power could they generate? (One such reactor on a starship in Babylon 5 generates 330 exawatts, for instance, though I don’t know if such a thing is possible.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2
    What is a quantum singularity reactor? : )

4. Jan 21, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds extremely interesting...All this fcience-siction is driving me crazy... :tongue2:

5. Jan 21, 2005 #4
    Cool!!! Just what I need to power my tardis. Those flux capacitors really eat the exawatts! :biggrin:
  6. Jan 21, 2005 #5
    The little I have read on it suggests it's the same as what goes inside a black hole, some kind of artificial gravity well. A singularity is a point in space in which physical laws supposedly break down. Matter is continuously fed into the singularity, and this somehow causes an enormous energy release to be used. I have heard it claim to be even more efficient and powerful than a matter/antimatter reactor, which I found interesting. As you may know, a matter/antimatter reactor would yield roughly 90,000 terajoules per kilogram of mass, so the possibility of being more powerful and efficient than a matter/antimatter reactor intrigued me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?