Quantum Suicide: Why is only experimenter convinced?

• Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary: The Emergent Multiverse". However, this experiment does bring up the question of what role consciousness plays in the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Some interpretations, such as Copenhagen, require a conscious observer to cause a collapse of the wavefunction. However, the MWI does not have this requirement, as the wavefunction never truly collapses. In this particular experiment, consciousness is only important in understanding the results and the implications for the validity of the MWI.
Quantumental said:
I think my issue of divergence vs splitting should be given more consideration within the MWI community as it directly falsifies all forms of Quantum Immortality instantly and is also the metaphysical view argued for by the leaders of modern Everett reading.

Isn'tt that just Bohmian MWI? In Bohmian MWI, I think one still survives in at least one world.

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
If there is a state dead that is orthogonal to the state alive, and given the initial setup states are orthogonal, could one use that unitarity preserves orthogonality to argue that the other possibilities are never seen? The main problem, of course, is preparing yourself in the same state every time. But should be doable in principle.

This is a direction I'd really like the thread to take.

It is, as you suggest, possible to create a reversible observer. Because we, as humans generate so much heat and entropy, we're statistically very unlikely to ever return to the state which we were in before measurement. However, in principle, we should be able to create an extremely efficient observer, which is thermodynamically reversible. This observer could make a measurement on a quantum system, then revert its state, to test if the state of the observed system is actually relative to the state of the observer. In my view, this can prove the correctness of the MWI interpretation, not just as an interpretation, but as a theory, not only to the observer, but also to the scientific community.

If the MWI is proven to be true, then we may have to conclude that the somewhat daunting implications of the quantum suicide thought experiment are indeed correct too and that consiousness is a permanent state.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
Quantumental, the splitting interpretation is motivated by decoherence. What is the motivation for the divergence interpretation?

Saunders has a whole chapter in the "Many Worlds?" volume about it which can be read here: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~lina0174/chance.pdf

ctrl + f: diverge

Last edited:
Likes atyy
atyy said:
If there is a state dead that is orthogonal to the state alive, and given the initial setup states are orthogonal, could one use that unitarity preserves orthogonality to argue that the other possibilities are never seen?
If you model the situation with two orthogonal states |alive> and |dead>, there seems to be no problem. But my point was that such a model misses the crucial point of repeatability. A reasonable model has to include at least the three possible outcome states |alive and reasonable well>, |alive and severely injured> and |dead>.

kith said:
If you model the situation with two orthogonal states |alive> and |dead>, there seems to be no problem. But my point was that such a model misses the crucial point of repeatability. A reasonable model has to include at least the three possible outcome states |alive and reasonable well>, |alive and severely injured> and |dead>.

Just get a fantastic experimentalist to do it, not a theorist like Tegmark. Of course, no experimentalist would be sensible enough to try. Oh, maybe in many worlds there would be one.

craigi said:
However, in principle, we should be able to create an extremely efficient observer, which is thermodynamically reversible.
No, because observation means creation of irreversible record. Of course you can erase record but you can't undo record. If you can undo it then it's not record.

Quantumental said:
Saunders has a whole chapter in the "Many Worlds?"

I had a quick look.

Its philosophical waffle devoid of any actual physics as far as I can see. So I looked up Saunders - he is a philosopher.

You asked why physicists don't take it seriously - unless you can explain the actual physics then you have your answer.

As Demystifyer said - exactly how does 'divergence' differ from interpreting each part of an improper mixed state as a separate world?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
zonde said:
No, because observation means creation of irreversible record. Of course you can erase record but you can't undo record. If you can undo it then it's not record.

So, if I understand you correctly, then your thesis is that a reversible system can't make a measurement of a separate quantum system. Is that right?

bhobba said:
I had a quick look.

Its philosophical waffle devoid of any actual physics as far as I can see. So I looked up Saunders - he is a philosopher.

You asked why physicists don't take it seriously - unless you can explain the actual physics then you have your answer.

As Demystifyer said - exactly how does 'divergence' differ from interpreting each part of an improper mixed state as a separate world?

Yes, he is a philosopher, but this is still his expertise. I don't like your attitude of dismissing everyone who got their degree in philosophy of physics.
David Wallace talks about this exact view in the book too and he got a PhD in physics as well as a PhD in philosophy, so if Saunders' or Alastair Wilson's status is the issue, now it should be no more..
The point is that divergence vs splitting is undetermined by physics, which is why you have to go into the realm of philosophy to lean either direction.

I don't see how the physics tell you that splitting takes place at all

Quantumental said:
I don't like your attitude of dismissing everyone who got their degree in philosophy of physics.

That's not my issue.

It's when you link to an article, I go to the trouble of wading through it only to find its philosophical waffle, which in this case is mostly rhubarb about what probability is.

All I am asking is you give an overview of what it's about concentrating on the physics. If for some reason you find that difficult then its not really suitable for this forum that discusses physics - not philosophy.

IMHO this whole thread is philosophical BS leaning heavily on a feeling we have about death - namely you can't experience death - so the argument isn't symmetrical. We don't know you don't experience death - and that isn't even examining the issue of if QM requires the experiencing of anything by a conscious observer - which of course it doesn't.

Thanks
Bill

Quantumental said:
I don't see how the physics tell you that splitting takes place at all

The physics doesn't tell you anything about interpretation - which is why they are interpretations.

But in discussion of interpretations here we focus on the physical consequences eg for MW its what the consequence of interpreting the mixed state after decoherence as separate worlds. What you linked to, as far as I can see, simply is a philosophical discussion trying to justify the idea of future probabilities. That's not really germane to the physics ie after decohertence the worlds split.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
The physics doesn't tell you anything about interpretation - which is why they are interpretations.

But in discussion of interpretations here we focus on the physics eg for MW its what the consequence of interpreting the mixed state after decoherence as separate worlds. What you linked to, as far as I can see, simply is a philosophical discussion trying to justify the idea of future probabilities. That's not really germane to the physics ie after decohertence the worlds split.

Did you read the section of Overlap vs Divergence? This is where he makes his argument

Quantumental said:
Did you read the section of Overlap vs Divergence? This is where he makes his argument

Why don't you summarise it?

I am afraid things like the following make my eyes roll back:
'On the other hand S1 is on the face of it just a semantic rule—it is merely a linguistic matter. The referents of terms are constrained by their contexts of use, granted; but over and above those constraints, not even in the God’s-eye view is their meaning determined. It is up to us to say what, precisely, among the structures in the universal state, our words really mean. And if that is all there is to uncertainty, nothing much should hang on the matter either way. The challenge remains: to justify the probability interpretation of EQM on the grounds of (i) and (ii) alone'

Physics is not about linguistics and semantics - in fact it about the exact opposite.

Thanks
Bill

craigi said:
So, if I understand you correctly, then your thesis is that a reversible system can't make a measurement of a separate quantum system. Is that right?
Yes, that's right.

zonde said:
No, because observation means creation of irreversible record.

That's not quite true eg in the quantum eraser decoherence is undone.

The modern view of observation is after decoherence. In most cases that is irreversible, but in some simple contrived cases it can be reversed.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That's not quite true eg in the quantum eraser decoherence is undone.
In quantum eraser interference pattern is recovered in subensembles after detections with recorded timestamps are already made. It's hard to understand how do you interpret that as "decoherence is undone".
bhobba said:
The modern view of observation is after decoherence.
If decoherence is modeled as interaction with environment i.e. certain physical process and not just interpretation, then it's subject to experimental verification.

zonde said:
Yes, that's right.

So we really need to review some of the recent literature. I don't have time to do that right now, but you'll be interested in Deutsch's paper entitled, "Quantum Theory as a Universal Physical Theory". I won't link it, because I think it's supposed to be behind a paywall.

craigi said:
So we really need to review some of the recent literature. I don't have time to do that right now, but you'll be interested in Deutsch's paper entitled, "Quantum Theory as a Universal Physical Theory". I won't link it, because I think it's supposed to be behind a paywall.
You can quote relevant arguments from Deutsch's paper.
Meanwhile I will give my argument. Results of observations and measurements can be shared, it means they can be copied without limit. Given theoretically unlimited number of possible copies (and copies of copies) how you can undo measurement?

zonde said:
In quantum eraser interference pattern is recovered in subensembles after detections with recorded timestamps are already made. It's hard to understand how do you interpret that as "decoherence is undone".

Its well known:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...and-the-delayed-choice-quantum-eraser.623648/

zonde said:
If decoherence is modeled as interaction with environment i.e. certain physical process and not just interpretation, then it's subject to experimental verification.

Of course.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Well you are using decoherence in two different senses and you mix them in your arguments. It's very hard to have any discussion with you because of that.
There is decoherence as absence of coherence in beam of light (it does not show interference).
And there is decoherence as a hypothesis that explains something about measurement.

There are not much questions about one meaning as it is defined directly from observations.
The other one is rather speculative.

bhobba said:
I am only using it in one sense as per the following:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/1/Decoherence_Essay_arXiv_version.pdf
Your source says that nowadays there is more than one sense for "decoherence".
"However, “decoherence” is now often used for a much more general idea, namely that of the environment-induced decoherence program, referring not only to the effect of decoherence itself, but also referring to
• its main cause, the ubiquitous and almost unavoidable interaction of a quantum system with its environment;
• its physical implications, expressed in predictions for empirically verifiable experiments;
• its conceptual implications, on for instance the traditional problem of quantum measurement, and the emergence of the classical world from a quantum reality.
It is important to distinguish between these last two points, because although the relevance of environment-induced decoherence on empirical outcomes is widely acknowledged, its conceptual implications are subject to much more controversy. Opinions range from solving (part of) the measurement problem, as founding decoherence theorists used to claim, to denying any conceptual implications apart from those illustrated any other quantum mechanical calculation."
bhobba said:
I can't ever recall it being used in the sense of photon coherence.
When you refer to quantum eraser experiment you mean decoherence as our ability to see/not see interference pattern. When you say that decoherence can be undone you do not mean that measurement of individual photons can be undone.

zonde said:
When you refer to quantum eraser experiment you mean decoherence as our ability to see/not see interference pattern. When you say that decoherence can be undone you do not mean that measurement of individual photons can be undone.

I mean the entanglement that allows us to determine which path information.

Thanks
Bill