1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quasi-Mathematical Books on Various Topics in Modern Physics.

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    Can someone provide me with a quasi-mathematical introductory text to quantum field theory ? Ideally, a book that's somewhere between popular science and an introductory freshman physics text.
    I have a strong background in calculus, having just completed a one-semester equivalent reading of R.Shankar's quantum mechanics, so I'm more than comfortable with the math. Nevertheless, I'm looking for something that won't take me months to complete, and isn't formal or heavy, while still retaining all the conceptual clarity of a more advanced text.
    Also, I'm looking for similar books on Special and General relativity, Nuclear physics, and Particle physics.
    Appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

John Polkinghorne wrote two:

The Quantum World (1985)
    Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (2002)

I've read the first one, but both get fine reviews.

4. May 28, 2014 #3
    Thanks. Know of anything similar in other topics of modern physics ?

5. May 28, 2014 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

Non-relativistic QFT makes its appearance in condensed matter physics. Since there it is equivalent to the Schroedinger equation for many identical particles, it may be a good way to go from Shankar to QFT. Re-expressing Schroedinger's equation for many identical particles as a non-relativistic QFT is called "second quantization". See eg https://archive.org/details/ColemanAnEvolvingMonogramOnManyBodyPhysicsFreescience996Year2010 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 29, 2014 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

For a non-technical introduction to QFT see
    K. Huang, Fundamental Forces of Nature: The Story of Gauge Fields

Soon the book
    Nancaster, Blundell: Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur
    will also be published, but I haven't seen it yet so I cannot recommend it.

7. May 29, 2014 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

For a semi-technical exposition of all fundamental physics and mathematics I strongly recommend the great book:
    R. Penrose, The Road to Reality: A complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe

8. May 29, 2014 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

These are good books, but perhaps below the wanted level because they are purely popular books, without equations. And they are not about quantum field theory.

9. May 29, 2014 #8
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks a ton Demystifier. :)

10. May 29, 2014 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a gentle introduction to QFT I recommend the particle physics books by David Griffiths. A wealth of information to learn and no mathematical subtleties.

11. May 29, 2014 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Lol?

12. May 29, 2014 #11
    For relativity, I'd say: Taylor and Wheeler, "Spacetime Physics".

13. May 29, 2014 #12
  14. May 30, 2014 #13

Demystifier

Science Advisor

That's good for special relativity, but it doesn't say much about general relativity.

To fill this gap, the same authors have also written another book at a similar level:
    Taylor, Wheeler: Exploring Black Holes - Introduction to General Relativity

15. May 30, 2014 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Like Griffiths (which someone mentioned above), this is an introductory textbook with a lot of mathematical details a student needs to learn. So perhaps this is not what he is looking for.

A nice unusual feature of this particle-physics textbook is that it also contains a chapter on general relativity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted