Question about a differential mount board pressure sensor

In summary: I apologize for the lack of information provided. In summary, this diffrential pressure sensor works by measuring the difference in pressure between two ports. The output voltage is proportional to the pressure difference.
Keerthana_28
Hello
I have a query regarding how this diffrential pressure sensor works
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/MP3V5010-783555.pdf

I have used the formula they suggested and I am getting a negative pressure output. I am unable to interpret the reason to such an output, It would be great if someone can shed some light on it.

I am trying to utilize this to measure the variation in atmospheric pressure and vacuum but i have done this test only under normal pressure (basic working test) but since i am not able to understand this result , i haven't ventured testing it under those conditions.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Keerthana_28 said:
Hello
I have a query regarding how this diffrential pressure sensor works
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/MP3V5010-783555.pdf

I have used the formula they suggested and I am getting a negative pressure output. I am unable to interpret the reason to such an output, It would be great if someone can shed some light on it.

I am trying to utilize this to measure the variation in atmospheric pressure and vacuum but i have done this test only under normal pressure (basic working test) but since i am not able to understand this result , i haven't ventured testing it under those conditions.

Thank you.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

How are you testing it? It probably has an offset that needs to be calibrated out, but I could be wrong about that.

If you hook up a flexible tube to its input and blow and suck, do you get more normal changes in output voltage?

Likes Keerthana_28 and jim hardy
What output are you getting?

Likes Keerthana_28 and jim hardy
A question well stated is half answered.
You didnt give us much to go on.

Svein asked a question that will answer yours.
Svein said:
What output are you getting?

I'll add, for sake of completeness you could have included the following:

Which one do you have ? From datasheet you linked there are four varieties

upload_2016-5-12_13-55-41.png

as to its operation, again from datasheet
upload_2016-5-12_14-0-39.png

Again from datasheet

Vout = VSx (0.09 x P + 0.08)

so
If VS = 3 as recommended
(sanity check : 0 pressure gives +0.24 volts)
Vout/3 = .09P +.08
P= (Vout/3 - .08) /.09
P = Vout X 3.704 - .8889

i do not see how any Vout more positive than 0.24 volts could be interpreted as negative pressure.

What voltage did you get ?

SO

If VS is 3 volts and is decoupled per fig 3
and you're getting less output than +0.24 volts(caveat - see offset specification below)
i'd guess either
pressure is applied to wrong port
or you're trying to read vacuum with a pressure gage
or you've hooked the voltmeter up backward.

Caveat - here's their offset spec from datasheet
that 0.24 volts is only guaranteed to be within this range:
upload_2016-5-12_15-47-44.png

my two cents and overpriced at that.

Let us know what you find ?

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Keerthana_28 and dlgoff
berkeman said:
If you hook up a flexible tube to its input and blow and suck...
Something I never thought I would see on physics forums. :smile:

Likes Keerthana_28 and berkeman
Thank you all so much.
I apologize for the lack of information provided.

So first to answer your query regarding the output i am obtaining a pressure of -0.79.

Then, yes i tried varying the pressure by blowing and sucking air and it works fine showing me variation of pressure.

I am obtaining a positive voltage of more than 0.24. But i am getting a standard negative pressure (eg : Pressure = -0.79 Voltage= 0.280645).

Thank you Sir Jim Hardy, I shall check where i have made an error again and discuss the results i get with all of you.

Keerthana_28 said:
Voltage= 0.280645
jim hardy said:
Again from datasheet

Vout = VSx (0.09 x P + 0.08)

so
If VS = 3 as recommended
(sanity check : 0 pressure gives +0.24 volts)
Vout/3 = .09P +.08
P= (Vout/3 - .08) /.09
P = Vout X 3.704 - .8889

Voltage= 0.280645 (What the heck kind of meter do you have ? Gives me digit envy !)
+0.280645 X 3.704 -0.8889 = + 0.1506
now datasheet didn't say what are units
but i'd think from their graph it's kilopascals
upload_2016-5-15_14-15-19.png

That's .15 kpa out of 10 kpa range? That's error of only about 1.5% of span. Not bad for a "fresh out of the box" untouched ±5% gizmo.

so next question is at what condition did you measure .280+++ volts? Both ports open to air? No water inside the sensor?
Horizontal or vertical?
You'll probably find a small difference when the sensor is held in vertical vs horizontal plane. That's because Gravity pulls on its "differential sensing element" .
upload_2016-5-15_14-22-11.png

So
open both ports to air, place it in the position you intend to use it and measure Vout. That is the number you'll use in place of of 0.24 in the transfer function. Notice that your 0.28++++ falls within the specified range of 0.1 to 0.38 volts.

That's a neat gizmo, thank you for making me aware of it.

old jim

Likes Keerthana_28 and dlgoff
Thank you Sir Jim. I tried that it, but now we had to make another choice because we need Absolute pressure measurement in vaccum. Thus we have planned on using MPX2100AP but we are facing an issue with it as well, the data sheet doesn't provide the formula for calculation of pressure , its confusing as this has two pins for Vout with one positive and one negative , i don't seem to place the idea and reason behind it . Could you please help me out with this.

Data sheet : http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/MPX2100-783865.pdf

You should study the datasheets carefully asking yourself "What did they mean by this?" for every entry.

That sensor is different than the first one you tried. It does not have an amplifier to give output refernced to common
it's more of a Wheatstone bridge
you must measure the voltage between those two pins
either with a differential A/D converter
or by two measurements

If you supply the device with 10 volts dc,
voltage between the pins will be nominal 40mv at 14.5 psia
and nominal 0 mv at 0 psia

upload_2016-5-26_16-13-21.png

y = m x pressure + b
where m is a fraction of applied input voltage, that's what "ratiometric" means
0.04 X pressure in kPa from that chart
Output (in millivolts) = kPaabsolute at P1 X 0.04 X Vsupply + offset,
so with 10 volt supply Output (in millivolts) = kPaabsolute at P1 X 0.4 + offset,

offset being error as given here(for 10V supply)
upload_2016-5-26_16-16-20.png

and Output being the voltage difference between the two pins.

You can surely solve that for pressure as f(volts) . At whatever supply voltage you use.

check my arithmetic - it's dinnertime here and Fair Anne has it ready !

old jim

Last edited:

1. What is a differential mount board pressure sensor?

A differential mount board pressure sensor is a type of sensor that measures the difference in pressure between two points. It consists of a pressure-sensitive diaphragm and an electronic circuit that converts the pressure into an electrical signal.

2. How does a differential mount board pressure sensor work?

The sensor works by detecting the difference in pressure between two points. One side of the diaphragm is exposed to the pressure being measured, while the other side is exposed to a reference pressure. The difference in pressure causes the diaphragm to bend, which is measured by the electronic circuit and converted into an electrical signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential mount board pressure sensor?

One advantage of using this type of sensor is its ability to measure small pressure differences with high accuracy. It is also less affected by external factors such as temperature and vibration, making it reliable for precise measurements. Additionally, it can be mounted in tight spaces and is relatively low cost.

4. Where are differential mount board pressure sensors commonly used?

These sensors are commonly used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in automotive systems, aerospace and aviation, HVAC systems, and medical devices. They can also be found in research laboratories for measuring pressure differentials in experiments.

5. How do I choose the right differential mount board pressure sensor for my application?

The right sensor for your application will depend on factors such as the pressure range, accuracy and resolution needed, environmental conditions, and compatibility with your measuring system. It is best to consult with a sensor manufacturer or supplier to determine the most suitable sensor for your specific needs.