Question about a missed interview

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the person had a phone interview scheduled with a new aerospace company but never received a call. They called the recruiter and another company they had an interview with also did not communicate with them. The person is unsure of what to do and is considering sending a reminder email. However, they also mention that the situation may be caused by a legitimate reason and suggest giving the companies the benefit of the doubt and sending a polite reminder.
Aero51
Today I was supposed to have a phone interview with a new aerospace company at 12pm EST today. I waited an hour, another hour, and a third hour (thinking maybe because of the time zone difference they got mixed up) only to never be called. Between the 2nd and third hour i called the recruiter who contacted me and asked them if they could clarify the situation. I have not received a phone call or an email yet. Being anxious, agitated and extremely disgusted with being unemployed, I am tempted to send an email reiterating my phone call.

On top of that...another company I had an interview with canceled last minute on friday due to some internal conflicts and said they would reschedule this week. i called their office today and have also not received a communication.

It seems like the aerospace industry is now in the business of screwing me over :)

So, I am not sure what to do. Should I sit and wait like a dummy or be assertive and find out what is going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be assertive.

I totally empathize with your situation. As if job hunting isn't hard enough, to be toyed with like that is frustrating as hell.

Btw, is this job at all affected by the terrorist attack today? Is it in the Boston area? Or is it in an industry that is a potential terrorist target? The attack may have forced them to change their plans today. It's a long shot, I'm just trying to find a rational reason why they would act like that. It's otherwise unacceptable.

The interviewer might have had family in Boston. I would unwind a bit and send a polite reminder tomorrow or the day after. I would proceed carefully because you don't know their situation.

It had nothing to do with the Boston bombings. Those began almost 3 hours later.

I had a similar situation recently. I was scheduled for an interview but never received a call. I emailed the HR person who was responsible for scheduling my interview. Apparently he/she gave the wrong phone number to the interviewer. So I gave them my correct number again. (I listed it explicitly in the previous email and on my resume.) That was two weeks ago, and I haven't heard from them.

The advice I've heard is: send a short email reminder to the HR people that you still exist and you are still available for an interview. Repeat every week or so if needed, but give up after several tries. Anyone here have a better idea?

Aero51 said:
It had nothing to do with the Boston bombings. Those began almost 3 hours later.

Point is ,it could be because of a legitimate reason which you might not be privy to so you have to act accordingly. Given you aren't in the position of having a higher amount of leverage all you can do is give them the benefit of the doubt and send a polite reminder.

1. Why did I miss the interview?

There could be various reasons for missing an interview, such as an emergency or unforeseen circumstances. It is important to inform the interviewer as soon as possible and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

2. Will I still be considered for the position?

It depends on the company's policies and the reason for missing the interview. Some companies may reschedule the interview, while others may not consider you for the position. It is important to communicate effectively and explain the situation to the interviewer.

3. What should I do if I missed the interview due to technical difficulties?

If you missed the interview due to technical difficulties, reach out to the interviewer or the company's HR department as soon as possible and explain the situation. Offer to reschedule the interview or suggest alternative methods of communication, such as a phone or video interview.

4. How can I make a good impression after missing an interview?

If you missed the interview, it is important to take responsibility for your actions and apologize sincerely. You can also ask if there is any possibility of rescheduling the interview or if there are any other open positions within the company that you can apply for.

5. Will missing the interview affect my chances of getting the job?

Missing the interview can have a negative impact on your chances of getting the job, but it ultimately depends on the company's policies and the reason for your absence. It is important to communicate effectively and show genuine interest in the position to mitigate any negative impact.