1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a missed interview

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Today I was supposed to have a phone interview with a new aerospace company at 12pm EST today. I waited an hour, another hour, and a third hour (thinking maybe because of the time zone difference they got mixed up) only to never be called. Between the 2nd and third hour i called the recruiter who contacted me and asked them if they could clarify the situation. I have not received a phone call or an email yet. Being anxious, agitated and extremely disgusted with being unemployed, I am tempted to send an email reiterating my phone call.

On top of that...another company I had an interview with cancelled last minute on friday due to some internal conflicts and said they would reschedule this week. i called their office today and have also not recieved a communication.

It seems like the aerospace industry is now in the business of screwing me over :)

So, Im not sure what to do. Should I sit and wait like a dummy or be assertive and find out what is going on.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be assertive.

I totally empathize with your situation. As if job hunting isn't hard enough, to be toyed with like that is frustrating as hell.

Btw, is this job at all affected by the terrorist attack today? Is it in the Boston area? Or is it in an industry that is a potential terrorist target? The attack may have forced them to change their plans today. It's a long shot, I'm just trying to find a rational reason why they would act like that. It's otherwise unacceptable.

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    The interviewer might have had family in Boston. I would unwind a bit and send a polite reminder tomorrow or the day after. I would proceed carefully because you dont know their situation.

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    It had nothing to do with the Boston bombings. Those began almost 3 hours later.

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    I had a similar situation recently. I was scheduled for an interview but never received a call. I emailed the HR person who was responsible for scheduling my interview. Apparently he/she gave the wrong phone number to the interviewer. So I gave them my correct number again. (I listed it explicitly in the previous email and on my resume.) That was two weeks ago, and I haven't heard from them.

The advice I've heard is: send a short email reminder to the HR people that you still exist and you are still available for an interview. Repeat every week or so if needed, but give up after several tries. Anyone here have a better idea?

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6
    Point is ,it could be because of a legitimate reason which you might not be privy to so you have to act accordingly. Given you aren't in the position of having a higher amount of leverage all you can do is give them the benefit of the doubt and send a polite reminder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook