Question about a new section of the forum

• Thread starter dreiter
  • Start date
In summary, lisab and dreiter are discussing the possibility of adding a nutritional science section to the site, but there is a lack of interest. They suggest making threads in the appropriate forum, and Dreiter offers to help carry the fish over to the freezer.
dreiter
Hi everyone! I know I'm not a major player here, but I figured I would chip in and ask about the possibility of adding a 'Nutritional Science' section to the site, maybe under the biology section or some such? Essentially this could be for discussions about health/fitness/food. I am a big nutrition science geek, and there are very few forums with this number of intelligent members and motivated posters So it's just a thought. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
We get this kind of suggestion now and then, but there is rarely enough people interested in the subjects to justify making a new forum. I think it would be appropriate if you make nutrition threads in the Medical Sciences forum.

It's something I'm interested in but I don't know much about it, so I'd be happy to see them. Who knows, if there is a huge interest, it may get its own forum sometime in the future.

dreiter said:
Hi everyone! I know I'm not a major player here, but I figured I would chip in and ask about the possibility of adding a 'Nutritional Science' section to the site, maybe under the biology section or some such? Essentially this could be for discussions about health/fitness/food. I am a big nutrition science geek, and there are very few forums with this number of intelligent members and motivated posters So it's just a thought. :)

As lisab has stated, we simply cannot create a new forum each time a member thinks it is a good idea. There has to be (i) a demand for it and (ii) a large frequency of posting related to that area.

Zz.

lisab (and ZapperZ) said exactly the right thing. You can make threads in the Biology or the Medical Sciences subforum, whichever is appropriate for the particular topic. Just remember that the discussions must be science based and the sources for information that are used must be of good quality (not some commercial or private website). I'm looking forward to your input :smile:

I'd like to see nutritional fads, myths, and misinformation debunked.

Fair enough! I think the Medical Sciences section has the majority of nutrition-related threads, so I will probably start there. Good day!

Hi, dreiter!

Personally, I have suggested a "pedagogics forum", meant for teachers/supervisors at various levels.

However, I have come to agree with the PF policy that sub-forums are created on demand basis, rather than on a "bright idea" basis.

arildno said:
I wasn't aware of that sub-forum!
:redface::shy::blushing:
Where's my fish? I need to give you a sound thwiping. :tongue:

Will this do?
We call it broad-jaw in norweedish:
[PLAIN]http://assets.wwf.no/img/breiflabb_minsk_39824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Will this do?
We call it broad-jaw in norweedish:
[PLAIN]http://assets.wwf.no/img/breiflabb_minsk_39824.jpg[/QUOTE]Is that an angler fish? That will be nice for more serious infractions. Help me carry that over to the PF freezer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Is that an angler fish? That will be nice for more serious infractions. Help me carry that over to the PF freezer?
Phew, my mistress is merciful.

I guess I DO deserve a slap from this fellow, though:
holtanfisk2.jpg

PS:
It is called "common minnow" in engrish, I think..

Evo said:
Is that an angler fish?
It is of the angler fish family, and bears the charming names:
"fishing-frog, frog-fish or sea-devil"

1. What is the purpose of the new section of the forum?

The purpose of the new section of the forum is to provide a designated space for discussions and information related to a specific topic or theme. This allows for easier navigation and organization of discussions for forum users.

2. Can anyone post in the new section of the forum?

Yes, the new section of the forum is open to all forum users. However, the forum moderators may have certain guidelines or restrictions for posting in this section, which will be outlined in the forum rules.

3. Will the new section of the forum have its own set of rules?

Yes, the new section of the forum may have its own set of rules or guidelines specific to the topic or theme of the section. These rules will be enforced by the forum moderators to ensure a respectful and productive discussion environment for all users.

4. How can I suggest a new topic for the section?

You can suggest a new topic for the section by contacting the forum moderators or posting in the forum's suggestion thread. The moderators will review the suggestion and determine if it aligns with the purpose and guidelines of the section.

5. Will there be any special features in the new section of the forum?

This will depend on the forum's platform and the preferences of the moderators. Some possible special features could include polls, featured discussions, or a specific layout/design for the section. Any special features will be announced and explained by the moderators in the forum's announcement thread.