Question about applying for jobs before graduating

• Admissions
  • Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the conversation discusses applying for jobs before graduating and the possibility of out-of-state job interviews. The speaker suggests starting to apply 6-10 months before graduation and explains that interviews can be conducted through phone or in-person. They also mention the potential for recruiters to visit schools and fly candidates out for interviews. The conversation concludes with a note about the speaker's experience with flying for an internship interview with IBM.
schattenjaeger
and for non-local jobs >_>

I'm graduating in May(the 11th to be exact), and was wondering about a couple of things. Say I see a tempting job opening somewhere that requires the BS, is it still ok for me to apply and note that I'm getting it PDQ? If not I kinda feel like I'm sitting on my hands waiting to graduate

Second, if the job is fairly far away, like out of state, how's that work? I know my sister did a telephone interview, but that was like her going to China, so a little more extreme. I've nothing against moving if I'm moving to a job, but it'd be a bit rough to get places just for an interview

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could get hired somewhere before you're finished with school, why wouldn't you take the chance? The earlier you can apply the better... within reason anyway. 6-10 months from graduation is probably a good window to start.

Depending on who/what the company is, you may do a telephone interview, they might fly you to them, or they might want you to be there in person.

6-10 months, 2 weeks, same thing, right?

Thanks!

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're asking if you're allowed to apply for a job that requires a BS, when you don't have a BS for a few more weeks. The answer is yes. In fact, this is what most people I know do. It would be quite a waste of time, after all, if you graduated and didn't have a job waiting for you.

schattenjaeger said:
6-10 months, 2 weeks, same thing, right?

Thanks!
Is it? All the big companies usually start looking for new graduates in the fall semester of their senior year. The point is you going to start applying for it sooner or later, so what's holding you back?

And on the out-of-state job interview question... Usually this will happen because recruiters visit your school, and you pass the initial interviews. They then make arrangements to fly you to their company for further interviews. These can be fun trips, IMO.

It's also possible that you submit a resume online or something, get a couple of telephone interviews (which you do great in), and they arrange the interview trip based on that.

Yah if its out of state, don't be surprised f they want you to fly to them. Not doing a phone interview, especially for a full time position they want the real deal, not just a person's voice and a resume.

Even for just a co-op with IBM I had to fly down to them before I was hired.Do you have any other type of internship/co-oping experience?

1. What are the benefits of applying for jobs before graduating?

Applying for jobs before graduating can give you a head start in your career and increase your chances of securing a job after graduation. It also allows you to gain valuable experience and build professional connections.

2. Is it common for students to apply for jobs before graduating?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for students to apply for jobs before graduating. Many companies offer internships or entry-level positions for students who are still in school.

3. How do I know if I am qualified for a job before graduating?

Most job postings will list the necessary qualifications and requirements. Make sure to read the job description carefully and assess if you meet the criteria. You can also reach out to the company for clarification or to ask about potential opportunities for students.

4. Should I mention that I am still in school when applying for jobs?

Yes, it is important to be transparent about your current education status when applying for jobs. This can help employers understand your availability and potential start date, as well as any relevant coursework or skills you may have acquired.

5. How can I balance job applications with my studies?

It can be challenging to balance job applications with schoolwork, but it is possible with proper time management and organization. Set aside specific times for job searching and applications, and prioritize your schoolwork. You can also seek help from career services on campus for assistance with job applications and interviews.