Question about beam and moment in mechanic engineering

In summary: The forces and moments on the two beams are not independent.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reaction and moment at each supporting point for a beam system. The solution provided by one person is questioned for its accuracy and the problem is deemed statically indeterminate. Another person suggests using axial deflection compatibility equations to solve for the horizontal reactions. The accuracy of the problem itself is also questioned.
kai92

Homework Statement

The beam AB shown is connected to beam BC.Find the reaction at each supporting point and moment at A.
Question.PNG

Homework Equations

This is the FBD given by the lecturer:
FBD.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually,I get the answer but not sure correct or not.These are my answer:
y=0.14kN
Ax=0N
Ay=0.07kN
Bx=0.105kN
By=0.07kN
Cx=-0.105kN
Cy=7.93kN

Someone please tell me whether my answer are correct or not.If not,please give me suggestion.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure why you are getting decimal numbers..the vertical load for examople is 16 kN down, so the vert reactions at A and C must add to 16 kN up. And the horiz reactions must add up to 6 kN. The reactive moment at A is missing from the free body diagram. The problem is statically indeterminate..to get the horiz reactions, you have to use axial deflection compatability equations (A will 'hog' most of the horizonatl load.)

This is statically determinate, the extra equation coming from the zero bending moment at B. What is the bending moment at B, taking moments to the right of B?

pongo38 said:
This is statically determinate, the extra equation coming from the zero bending moment at B. What is the bending moment at B, taking moments to the right of B?
Both ends are restrained from lateral movement, thus, the problem is statically indeterminate in the x direction.

Apologies. Jay is right. But I wonder if the question is correctly illustrating what was intended?

Yes, I have my doubts also.

1. What is the difference between a beam and a moment in mechanic engineering?

A beam is a structural element that is used to support loads and transfer them to the surrounding structures. It is typically a long, straight piece of material, such as wood, steel, or concrete. A moment, on the other hand, is a force that causes a rotational movement. In mechanic engineering, moments are often used to describe the bending or twisting of a beam.

2. How are beams and moments calculated in mechanic engineering?

In mechanic engineering, beams and moments are calculated using equations and principles from mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of static equilibrium. The specific calculations will depend on the type of beam and the forces acting on it, such as point loads or distributed loads.

3. What are the different types of beams used in mechanic engineering?

There are several types of beams used in mechanic engineering, including cantilever beams, simply supported beams, and continuous beams. Each type has different properties and is used for different applications. Cantilever beams are supported on one end and are often used in bridges and buildings. Simply supported beams are supported on both ends and are commonly used in floors and roofs. Continuous beams have multiple supports and are used in long-span structures.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the strength of a beam?

The moment of inertia is a measure of a beam's resistance to bending. It is directly proportional to the beam's strength, meaning that a beam with a larger moment of inertia will be stronger and able to resist larger loads without bending. This is why beams with larger cross-sectional areas are often stronger than beams with smaller cross-sectional areas.

5. How do beams and moments play a role in the design of structures in mechanic engineering?

Beams and moments are crucial in the design of structures in mechanic engineering. They help determine the size and shape of structural elements, as well as the materials used. Engineers must consider the forces and moments acting on a structure to ensure it can safely support the intended loads and maintain its structural integrity.