1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about bistable multivibrator op amps

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the problem:
    XMrhesR.png

So this is a bistable multivibrator.

2. Relevant equations
    KVL and KCL laws

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't entirely understand bistable multivibrators. I get what the solution is, the input voltage caps at 0.1V and the output caps at 0.7V and hysteresis occurs. Apparently, the output voltage will feed back into the + terminal of the op amp and this loops repeats itself until saturation... Why doesn't this happen with a regular non-inverting amplifier. The configuration is almost the same except the terminals are flipped... What does this mean?

However, when I do some circuit analysis I notice that if the input is greater than 0.1V weird things happen. For example take a look at what I did here:

ahMgoHA.jpg

So when you have 5V as the input, what happens to the current flow, does some of it just magically get capped?

Another question I have is what is that 10k resistor right after the op amp used for?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The equality v(+) = v(-) for an op-amp holds only while the op-amp is operating linearly and ouput is not saturated.

If those conditions are not met, then it's the case that
    v(+) v(-)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. Feb 23, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your feedback here is positive. In a linear noninverting amplifier the feedback is negative. BIG difference!

Use the fact that the op amp output is +12V if input V+ is higher than input V- , and -12V if V- > V+.

So you're always comparing input voltages V+ vs. V- as you vary the V- voltage back & forth. Hint: limit your V- input swing to +/- 0.2V.

The 10K output resistor limits the op amp output current to a safe value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted