Question about Bright Air, Brilliant Fire by Harold Edelman

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Fire
In summary: It may have been built upon or challenged by newer studies, but it still seems to have relevance in the big picture of understanding how the brain works and adapts.In summary, the book written in the early 90's appears to have some relevance to the concept of neuroplasticity, which was first coined in the 1970's. It discusses the brain's ability to adapt and change, and how the environment can play a role in this process. The notion of brain maps in the book may also be related to current research into brain function. While it may not have directly generated a lot of experiments, it seems to have been a foundational work in the field of neuroplasticity and continues to be relevant in understanding the brain's
cobalt124
Hopefully I'm posting in the correct place. This book was written in the early 90's and I've just read it earlier this year. I also have a (very laymans) interest in neuroplasticity. I believed this was a very recent concept, but a bit of digging revealed the term was first coined in the 1970's and the first experiments carried out in the 1940's. So I am wondering how (if) the book relates to neuroplasticity, as I don't think the term is mentioned at all in the book, and how the notion of brain maps in the book relates to that notion today. Based on posts on this forum, I believe the notion of a brain map is very general. The book sets out a theory of brain development and function, and the blurb on the back suggests it "should generate a lot of experiments". I guess I'm asking, Did it? Is it a basis for current work on brain function, or has it been shot down? Where does it fit in the big picture? What are the developments between the books publication and today? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert in this field, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question in full. However, from what I can tell, the book does appear to relate to neuroplasticity in some way. It seems to focus on the idea that the brain is capable of adapting and changing over time, and that the environment can play a role in influencing this adaptation and change. This idea is certainly consistent with current research into neuroplasticity.

The notion of brain maps in the book may also be related to current research into brain function, as it suggests that certain areas of the brain are associated with certain functions. This is something that has been explored in more depth in recent years, such as through the use of imaging techniques like fMRI which allow researchers to map out the activity of different areas of the brain.

I'm not sure if the book generated a lot of experiments or not, but it certainly appears to form part of the foundation for current research into neuroplasticity and brain function.

Related to Question about Bright Air, Brilliant Fire by Harold Edelman

What is "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" about?

"Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" is a book written by Harold Edelman, a renowned scientist, that explores the history of science and the role it plays in shaping society. It discusses the contributions of various scientists and the impact of their discoveries on our world.

Who is Harold Edelman?

Harold Edelman is a scientist, author, and professor who has made significant contributions to the field of science. He is known for his work on the structure and function of proteins, and for his writings that bridge the gap between science and the general public.

What is the main theme of "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire"?

The main theme of "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" is the relationship between science and society. Edelman explores how scientific discoveries have shaped the world we live in, and the impact of these discoveries on our culture and way of life.

Is "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. Edelman uses clear language and real-life examples to make complex scientific concepts understandable to a general audience.

What makes "Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" a unique book?

"Bright Air, Brilliant Fire" is a unique book because it combines the history of science with sociological and philosophical discussions. It also provides a personal perspective from the author, making it a thought-provoking and engaging read for both scientists and non-scientists.