Question about culture/business/whatever of medical science?

In summary: What do you think?In summary, when a new process or method is discovered in the life sciences, it is generally shared with other scientists for further examination and potential publication. Depending on the circumstances, the process or method may be patented or not.
JQP
I'm pretty much a science noob. When some lab discovers a new process for fertility, or a new genetic test, or a new method for making clones or stem cells or whatever, how is this process or method shared? Or is it shared? Do they go out and get patents? Guard their secrets? Share them for the benefit of mankind, sell them, what?

A good example is Venter's announcement that his group is close to what he calls artificial life. Will he be sharing the procedures he develops? If so, with whom, and how? Are there any books or other learning materials that explain everything a curious person could want to know about these aspects of the culture/business/whatever of life sciences, medical sciences, etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no one answer to this question.

In general, from an academic point of view, as soon as you develop something new in the field, you write up your work for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. That way it is subject to rigorous scientific evaluation before it becomes open knowledge. Professors and academics are expected to publish on a regular basis.

On the other hand, as some processes or ideas can lead to significant financial gain for the inventor, the inventor can seek a patent to protect his or her intellectual property. Sometimes people can be tight-lipped about such ideas until the patent is issued, which can take time.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "from an academic point of view"? To whom does this generality apply? People like Venter? The folks who cloned Dolly?

When you "write something up" for peer review, what does that mean? You're giving away the farm, so to speak? I guess so, since part of the purpose of peer review is reproducibility, right? After all it's not really science if it can't be reproduced, right?

You say "before it becomes open knowledge," but is that much of a distinction? I mean, it isn't hard to get hold of stuff submitted for peer review is it?
Professors and academics are expected to publish on a regular basis
Sure, but that doesn't apply to e.g. Venter or the Dolly guys, does it?

On the other hand, as some processes or ideas can lead to significant financial gain for the inventor, the inventor can seek a patent to protect his or her intellectual property. Sometimes people can be tight-lipped about such ideas until the patent is issued, which can take time.

I don't understand. Why wouldn't they be tight-lipped after a patent is issued, too? Say I patent a process for use during IVF to correct a gene that causes Cystic Fibrosis (or whatever), what have I gained by patenting it? And is this normally how this sort of thing would be done, assuming I'm working for a private firm? And if I'm working in academia, I'm assumed to give it away for prestige and a bigger office?

I'm mystified how new methods propagate. If I'm in private practice and I develop a new super-effective fertility treatment, wouldn't it behoove me to hoard this knowledge and make everyone line up at my clinic? Yet, this doesn't seem to be the way it goes. It seems that before long, everyone's using the new methods.

Related to Question about culture/business/whatever of medical science?

1. How does culture impact medical science?

Culture can have a significant impact on medical science as it can shape the beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors of individuals towards healthcare. For example, certain cultures may have traditional healing practices that differ from western medicine, which can influence the acceptance and adoption of medical treatments. Additionally, cultural norms and values can affect access to healthcare, health-seeking behaviors, and the trust between patients and healthcare providers.

2. What role does business play in the field of medical science?

Business plays a crucial role in the field of medical science as it drives innovation, research, and development of new medical treatments and technologies. Pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, and healthcare organizations all contribute to the advancement of medical science through investments in research and development. Business also plays a role in the distribution and accessibility of medical treatments and services.

3. How does medical science impact society?

Medical science has a significant impact on society as it helps to improve the overall health and well-being of individuals. Medical treatments and technologies have extended human life expectancy, reduced mortality rates, and improved quality of life. Medical science also plays a role in public health, disease prevention, and management of global health challenges.

4. What ethical considerations are involved in medical science?

Medical science raises ethical considerations such as the use of human subjects in research, patient confidentiality, and the allocation of limited resources. There are also ethical considerations surrounding the development and use of new medical technologies, such as genetic testing and stem cell research. Ethical principles, such as beneficence, non-maleficence, and autonomy, guide the decision-making process in medical science.

5. How does global diversity impact medical science?

Global diversity has a significant impact on medical science as it allows for a broader perspective and understanding of health and disease. Different cultures, beliefs, and traditions can influence the development and implementation of medical treatments and technologies. Collaborative efforts between diverse medical professionals can lead to more effective and culturally sensitive healthcare practices.