Do Multiple Diffraction Gratings Affect Interference Patterns?

In summary, by replacing the second diffraction grating with a screen, we can observe an interference pattern on the screen after passing through the first grating. This pattern can be affected by the distances between the first and second gratings. When we go back to the original setup with two gratings, we can see the same interference pattern on the second grating as if there were 3 laser beams pointing at it. Adding an extra grating can also have an effect, as varying the distance between the gratings changes the illumination pattern on the second grating and ultimately, the interference pattern on the screen. Babinet's principle may also be useful in understanding this phenomenon.
KDPhysics
Here is my thinking:

Let's replace the second diffraction grating with a screen. Then, after passing through the first grating, I would expect there to be an interference pattern on the screen. Depending on the distances between the first grating and second, I could have several difference fringes. For sake of simplicity, say that in the diffraction grating I get 3 interference patterns (##m = 0, 1). Then, I would have three beams pointing at the diffraction grating.

Now we go back to the original set up with two gratings. Since the same interference pattern should show up on the second diffraction grating, it would be as if there were 3 laser beams pointing at the grating, and thus you'd have the multi-slit interference pattern for three different beams?
Does this make any sense?

So does adding an extra grating do anything? What about its angle of inclination?
Would varying the distance between the two gratings have any effect on the fringe distance?

Science news on Phys.org
It looks as if the second grating has a row of slits whose amplitude is multiplied by the pattern of the illuminating source - in this case a course pattern (remember that adjacent maxima have opposite phase by the way). As we change the separation of the two gratings, the second grating will have differing illumination patterns.
The effect on the screen is the product of three patterns:-
1) The wide pattern arising from the close spacing between individual slits.
2) The narrow pattern caused by (half) the overall width of the grating.
3) An intermediate pattern caused by the illumination provided by the first grating.

I was thinking that maybe Babinet's principle could be somehow helpful?

1. What is a double diffraction grating?

A double diffraction grating is a device that consists of two parallel gratings with closely spaced parallel lines. These lines act as barriers to light, causing it to diffract and create a pattern of bright and dark spots.

2. How does a double diffraction grating work?

A double diffraction grating works by causing light to diffract as it passes through the parallel lines of the gratings. This creates a diffraction pattern, with bright spots where the waves reinforce each other and dark spots where they cancel each other out.

3. What are the applications of double diffraction gratings?

Double diffraction gratings have many applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in spectroscopy to separate light into its component wavelengths, in optical instruments like spectrometers and monochromators, and in laser systems to control the direction and intensity of laser beams.

4. How are double diffraction gratings different from single diffraction gratings?

The main difference between double and single diffraction gratings is the number of parallel lines. Single diffraction gratings have one set of lines, while double diffraction gratings have two sets that are closely spaced. This results in a more complex diffraction pattern and allows for finer control over the diffracted light.

5. Can a double diffraction grating be used to create 3D images?

Yes, a double diffraction grating can be used to create 3D images through a process called holography. By using two gratings at different angles, a hologram can be created that appears to have depth when viewed with the appropriate light source. This technique is commonly used in security measures, such as holographic stickers on credit cards and passports.