Question about energy absorption

In summary, the lab discussed the concept of "soft hands" and the work-energy relationship in injury prevention. The objective was to catch a ping-pong ball on a hard surface without it bouncing off. The two mechanical variables that needed to be controlled were the acceleration of the book and the time of impact. This would spread out the force exerted on the hands and prevent injury. Kinesiology is subject to the laws of physics and the work-energy principle was discussed in relation to achieving the desired result.
huskiehenne
Ok, so I just took part in this lab for my Kinesiology class and I am having a little trouble figuring out the answers. It is my first time on this board and was just wondering if anyone could help. Here is the scenario.

Energy absorption is a critical component of injury prevention, in many sports such as, catching a baseball, landing in gymnastics, and breaking a fall in Judo. Energy absorption for the purpose of injury prevention as in catching a baseball depends upon the athletes’ ability to control or manipulate the kinetic energy of the ball. This is commonly known as “Soft hands” or “Work-Energy” relationship in scientific terms. This lab will examine the concept of “Soft hands” as it relates to work and energy.

1) You will throw a ping-pong ball to your partner.
2) Your partner will attempt to catch the ball using the hard, flat surface (of a hardbound book, for example) without letting the ball bounce off the surface.

Question - 1. What two things (mechanical variables) were altered or controlled to allow the ping-pong ball to be caught on the book without the ball bouncing? Explain why these two things induce the desired effect (1 point).

I suppose this is rather long, but I am a little confused to what the two variables would be...any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way I can think of to do this is to have the book moving (accelerating more like) with the direction of the ping pong ball so that the acceleration is less on the ball. This is just like when you catch a ball with your hands. If someone throws a basketball to you very hard, you want to start catching it out in front of you and let your arms move toward you as your catch the ball. The effect of this is to spread out the time of the impact so that there is less of a force exerted on your hands at a given instant. This comes from the concept of impulse=force*time. I wouldn't say that it has to do with the Work-energy relationship at all, but maybe I'm missing the boat on this one. I didn't nail down your variables exactly, but hopefully this gives you an idea or two.

huskiehenne said:
I suppose this is rather long, but I am a little confused to what the two variables would be...any help would be great.

Kinesiology is about Human kinetics, but it also is subject to laws of physics.

The choice of a hard ping pong ball being "caught" by a hard surface is another way of saying you have two objects that if they impact will have an inelastic collision and there will be a rebound from the collision - that is in the case of the ping pong ball it would "bounce".

Now the ping pong ball in motion has what properties? Which of those properties can you expect to change? And what is the desired result? That it come to rest on the book without bouncing perhaps?

A question for you is what physical equation covered in class covers "work" and the kind of resulting changes you want to achieve? Have you discussed the "work-energy principle" perhaps?

What is energy absorption?

Energy absorption is the process by which energy is absorbed and stored by a material or system. This energy can come in various forms, such as heat, light, or sound.

Why is energy absorption important?

Energy absorption is important because it allows materials and systems to withstand and dissipate energy, preventing damage and failure. This is particularly crucial in industries such as construction, automotive, and aerospace.

How does energy absorption work?

Energy absorption works by converting the incoming energy into a different form, such as heat or vibration, which is then dissipated through the material or system. This can be achieved through various mechanisms, such as plastic deformation, friction, or absorption by specific materials.

What are some common materials used for energy absorption?

Some common materials used for energy absorption include foams, rubber, metal alloys, and composites. These materials are known for their ability to absorb and dissipate energy effectively.

How can energy absorption be measured?

Energy absorption can be measured using various methods, such as impact testing, compression testing, and shear testing. These tests involve subjecting the material or system to a specific amount of energy and measuring how much it can absorb before failure.