Question about energy (explosions)

In summary, the inverse-square law states that the energy released by an explosion is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the explosion.
nicholas0211510
I'm new to physics I tried doing some research but I can't seem to fully grasp the concept.
My question is, how would one find how much energy is needed to destroy a object a select distence away from the blast

For example if a star when super nova and had a x amount of joules, and let's say a planet was 10 AU away, and that planet was Earth and the energy needed to destroy it was 2×10^32 joules

How would you calculate the intensity of the intial explosion to be able to still destroy the planet at that distance?

I believe it was square inversed law but I'm not sure could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nicholas0211510. :welcome:

If the energy spreads out uniformly in all directions, then imagine a sphere totally enclosing the exploding body. At whatever distance out from the centre of the exploding body you choose to draw the enclosing sphere, all that liberated energy will be spread over the surface of the sphere and you can calculate a Joules/m2 figure for that radius out. Do this calculation for whatever distance away the planet is located, and see whether you can figure out the remaining step.

Likes nicholas0211510
Thank you, I didn't imagin it would be as simple as that

I figured you would need to find a lot of variables like I was reading about the square inversed law, but i guess that formula does not associate with the topic at all?

nicholas0211510 said:
I figured you would need to find a lot of variables like I was reading about the square inversed law, but i guess that formula does not associate with the topic at all?
The inverse-square law certainly does apply: if you double the radius of the enclosing sphere, the Joules/m2 changes by a factor of 1/4.

Likes nicholas0211510
I see, I appreciate the help

1. What is energy?

Energy is a property of matter that allows it to do work. It can take many forms, such as kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), and thermal energy (heat).

2. How is energy related to explosions?

Explosions involve the rapid release of energy, typically in the form of heat and pressure. This energy is usually stored in chemical bonds and is released through a rapid chemical reaction.

3. How does an explosion occur?

An explosion occurs when a large amount of energy is suddenly released from a confined space. This can happen when a chemical reaction, such as combustion, releases energy faster than it can be dissipated, causing a rapid expansion of gases.

4. What factors determine the energy of an explosion?

The energy of an explosion is determined by several factors, including the type and amount of explosive material, the confinement of the explosion, and the efficiency of the reaction. The size and shape of the container or surrounding environment can also affect the energy of an explosion.

5. Can energy from explosions be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, energy from explosions can be harnessed for various practical uses. For example, controlled explosions are used in mining and demolition, while controlled nuclear explosions are used to generate electricity. However, the risks and potential hazards associated with explosions must be carefully managed and controlled.