Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Holograms and 3D mid air images, videos, etc.

1. Jul 4, 2015 #1
    I am very curious about holograms and if there is a possible way to project 3D , mid-air images and videos on air with no holographic screen (The Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars). If it is not possible, how long till they actually start arriving to the world and how will they work/operate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Not that we know of at this time. Not like how holography is portrayed in things like star wars and star trek.

We don't even know if such a thing is possible, let alone when it will arrive and how it works.

4. Jul 4, 2015 #3
    What if such thing was possible and was to arrive in the next six years? What would change?

5. Jul 4, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Much more than I could possibly imagine and post about. I'll leave all that to your imagination since it isn't going to happen.

Do you have any questions that have to do with current, real-world physics? If not I'm going to have to lock this thread.

6. Jul 4, 2015 #5
    No, just curious. Thanks anyways. 2020 is the year.

7. Jul 4, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Alright. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook