1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about how to interpret the graph of this waveform.

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is in regards to a homework problem, but I only need clarification on how to interpret the graph of a waveform.

2. Relevant equations

N.A.

3. The attempt at a solution

N.A.

I've attached the image. I am assuming that one cycle of the waveform takes 3 seconds, such that i = 2 for one second, then -2 for 1 second, then 0 for one second, and then it repeats.

I am double checking that the cycle does not actually repeat every 2 seconds such that i = 2 for one second, then -2 for 1 second and then repeats.

It is probable obvious that the former is the case, but I just want to be sure, because there are only filled or open nodes drawn at t = 0, 1, and 2 seconds.

Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Graphs have to be interpreted in context of what you want to find out.
    tldr: not enough information.

You have a graph of the function:
    $$i(t)=\left \{
    \begin{array}{rl}
    0 & : t\leq 0\\ 2 & : 0<t\leq 1\\ -2 & : 1<t\leq 2 \\ 0 & : t > 2
    \end{array}
    \right .
    $$

Open and closed nodes are inevitable since i(t) cannot have two values at one time.

Are you told that this represents the graph of one period of a periodic function with a period of 2s?
    The range appears to be from t=-1s to t=+3s - judging by the plotted (solid) line. Maybe the period is 4s? Maybe it is just a couple of pulses? Context is everything.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    The problem states that it is supposed that in a conductor, i(t) has the waveform shown below. Find and graph q(t). I have no problem finding and graphing q(t) I just wasn't sure about what is meant by waveform in this context. I guess I should assume that like you say that this is not a repeating wave, only a few blips?

My solution assumed that it was a repeating waveform where one cycle of the waveform takes 3 seconds, such that i = 2 for one second, then -2 for 1 second, then 0 for one second, and then it repeats. And is then
    [ floor(t) mod 3 = 0 ] -> q(t) = 2(t - floor(t))
    [ floor(t) mod 3 = 1 ] -> q(t) = 2 - 2(t - floor(t))
    [ floor(t) mod 3 = 2 ] -> q(t) = 0

But I think you are probably right, the fact that no "nodes" exist on the two ends of the waveform must indicate that
    (t <= 0) -> q(t) = 0
    (t >= 2) -> q(t) = 0

Which makes the problem a lot simpler, but then it seams a little too easy.

The fact that it is said "has the waveform" throws me off because I think of a wave as cyclical, but I suppose a wave form can be any plot over any range right?

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's how I'd have interpreted it, yes.

At t=0, charge starts moving one way, then at t=1 it starts moving the other way, at t=2 the movement stops. That's what the graph is saying. But it does not say that q(t)=0 for t<0 or t>2. It says that dq/dt=0 at those times.
    Unless you happen to know q(0)=0 or something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted