Question about isothermal work why heat is not affected

In summary, heat is the energy flow formed from temperature differences and it is not effect in an isothermal case.
MK300
What I think I understand so far:
Internal energy is the sum of work done on a system and heat supplied to the system.
In an isothermal case there is no change in temperature therefor internal energy has no change. therefor -q=w

Question: Why is there heat? I thought heat is the energy flow formed from temperature differences. I'm confused as to what heat is and why it is not effect in an isothermal case.

Background: first semester in physical chemistry

Science news on Phys.org
If I understand your question, you are asking how work is converted into heat: Joule's experiment. His experiment showed that work energy can be converted into heat energy. The specific mechanism in Joule's experiment is viscosity-viscosity acts to dissipate energy.

Ok I think I understand. My problem was: how can there be heat if there is no temperature difference, and your answer is that it is evolved from work.
Sorry I'll stop after this question.
Where is the heat coming from when work is done?
What happens is the microscopic level when work is done. Does the molecule run out of its ability to do work and then the remaining property is converted to heat? Or is heat evolved because the molecules are moving which releases heat? I heard when electrons move they generate a magnetic field, so maybe when atoms move they generate heat?

Work is transformed into heat via friction/viscosity (dissipative processes). We do not yet have a microscopic model of dissipative processes- we are currently unable to 'explain' friction or viscosity in terms of the 4 basic forces (gravity, e&m, strong, weak) because those forces are conservative forces- 'lossless', if you like.

Thanks Resnick for your time and quick replies. I enjoy learning about physical chemistry and hopefully later I will contribute back to this forum.

1. What is isothermal work?

Isothermal work is the energy transferred or expended during a process that occurs at a constant temperature. This means that the system remains at the same temperature throughout the process, and no heat is gained or lost.

2. Why is heat not affected during isothermal work?

During isothermal work, the temperature of the system remains constant, so there is no change in the internal energy of the system. This means that there is no energy transfer in the form of heat, as heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects at different temperatures.

3. How does isothermal work differ from adiabatic work?

Isothermal work occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic work occurs without any heat transfer. This means that during adiabatic work, the temperature of the system can change, whereas it remains constant during isothermal work.

4. What are the applications of isothermal work?

Isothermal work is commonly used in thermodynamic processes such as refrigeration and heat engines. It also plays a crucial role in the study of ideal gases and the Carnot cycle.

5. How is isothermal work calculated?

The calculation of isothermal work depends on the specific process and system being studied. In general, it can be calculated using the formula W = nRT ln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and V2 and V1 are the initial and final volumes of the gas.