Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Limits

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    I was wondering what the name for "a" is in the following example.

The limit as x approaches a of (any function).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think it has a specific name. Could be wrong, though.

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know of any name for it either.

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called "the value that x approaches".... duh :tongue2:

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"a" would be called "a point" as in "the limit of f at a point". Of course that's not a particualrly special name.

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6
    Thanks for all your replies. I was trying to word my response to a homework question last night. It doesn't really matter at all though, but I was curious.

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7
    Saying "point" almost implies that the limit is equal to the value of f at that point. At least that's what I think of. "A" isn't exactly a point, it's just a value in the domain.

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's reason for calling it a point, a limit requires that the domain (and the range) has more structure than a primitve concept of a set; the members of the mathematical structures we require are often called points. It may almost imply something to you, but it doesn't generally as it's standard usuage.

ps a minor quibble: "a" needn't lie in the domain of some function "f" for the limit of "f" at "a" to exist.

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I think it is usually named "Howard", but occasionally "Ozymandias".

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10
    I see, I didn't realize this was a standard term.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :). I guess what I mean to say is that point implies that there is a "point" at "a" which would mean that a is in the domain of f. But you were right that if point is standard usage, then it doesn't really matter what it implies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?